The Hunger Games RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Hunger Games RPG

The 15th Hunger Games have just ended leaving Faeryn Nacht of District One as the Victor. The citizens of Panem are trying to survive another year of uncertainty and fear, but what will the next reaping bring?

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gracilla Kelly
District 11
Gracilla Kelly

A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~ Empty
PostSubject: A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~   A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~ I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 1:39 pm

Gracie sat high in the tree with her basket in hand. She was easily picking away the apples, but it wasn't that much fun. It was lonely up here, because she was normally alone, and even if somebody else came up here, they were younger. That's what she got for being so thin...

As she continued to work, she heard rustling in a tree behind her. It was a squirrel. They always made all the apples fall. As she leaned over to try and scare it away, her basket dropped to the ground and all the apples tumbled out. Great. Now she had to start all over. With a frown set on her face, Gracie made the pesky squirrel next to her leave before climbing down and grabbing her basket. She didn't even bother with all the bruised apples. It would take too long to sort out the ones she could save.

So now here she sat, high in the tree again as she started all over. She wasn't allowed to leave until she had a full basket. And now it was getting dark. With a sigh, Gracie pulled out the night vision glasses they allowed only the people that worked in the trees to have and continued to pick.

And then she headed to another tree and continued the process. Look, pick. Look, pick. Look, pick. She was about to head to the other side of the giant apple tree, when she saw another figure not too far away. And she looked her age.

"Hello? Who's there?"Gracie asked, looking over to the figure. According to the schedule, there was only her and somebody else in their twenties. Well, she might have missed a name...
Back to top Go down
Willow Fidele
Admin
District 11
Avox
Willow Fidele

PostSubject: Re: A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~   A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~ I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 5:01 pm

((Just and FYI, you aren't supposed to RP until your character sheet is accepted, it's ok though because I just accepted you, but I thouht you'd want to know Smile ))
Back to top Go down
http://www.saltholywatergunscheck.tumblr.com
Gracilla Kelly
District 11
Gracilla Kelly

PostSubject: Re: A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~   A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~ I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 8:28 pm

(( Hehe sorry 'bout that...))
Back to top Go down
Melody Fraeder
District 11
Melody Fraeder

PostSubject: Re: A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~   A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~ I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 6:17 pm

Mel had arrived at the orchards at the time kids in other districts were probably arriving to school, only to find that she had been reassigned. The rest of the morning and afternoon had passed in a blur to Mel. She felt numb. Her new assignment was like a slap in the face, reminding her that Donta would never return from the games. Not that working without his company had been much better, but this felt more…final. Mel had always, always worked side by side with Donta. She hadn’t ever worked with her older sisters very much, since they were bigger than she was and couldn’t climb as high as their younger siblings, but Donta had always been there. Until now.

It was not until the sun began to set that Melody was pulled from her self-pity. She figured the day had to be ending soon, but she couldn’t be too sure. Some days the bell didn’t ring to signal the end of the day until the very last traces of sunlight were gone, and then Melody and her siblings had to walk home in the dark. Another troubling thought occurred to Mel; her sisters didn’t know about her reassignment yet, so when they went to meet her at her tree would they assume she had left without them? Melody used to wait patiently with Donta for their sisters, but since he had been sent to the games, Mel had been known to take off by herself the moment the bell rang. Still, she had never done that in the dark, so her sisters would wait. Right?

Deciding there was no point in worrying about that until the time came, Mel turned her attention back to apple picking. The job really was tedious, especially because the thirteen year old’s stomach was growling the whole time and she was not allowed to eat a single apple. Mel didn’t dare risk sneaking one either-she’d seen what happened to people who tried.

Just as she reached for a particularly delicious looking apple, Melody heard a voice and let out a small “Eep!” in surprise. She looked to her left and saw someone in the trees rather close to her. Mel slid around the trunk of her tree so that she was on the side closer to the girl who had spoken, and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was her classmate, Gracie. Melody hadn’t seen many of her classmates lately, thanks to the harvest. She didn’t know Gracie all that well, but she seemed nice, Mel supposed. Still, she couldn’t help but feel slightly resentful toward the other girl; she was, essentially, replacing Donta. Trying not to let her sadness show, Mel waved to her classmate. “Gracie! Hi! It’s me, Mel. I, uh, just got assigned to work here.” Because her brother was gone, but Mel left that piece of information unsaid. It was obvious enough, anyways, what with the games still going on.
Back to top Go down
Gracilla Kelly
District 11
Gracilla Kelly

PostSubject: Re: A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~   A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~ I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 9:18 am

Gracie was surprised when Melody answered. “Gracie! Hi! It’s me, Mel. I, uh, just got assigned to work here.”Since Melody barely spoke to anybody, this must be a good sign. But to not show her confusion, she offered a smile and a wave back.

"Sorry about your brother. I mean, my brother got killed in the Games before, too."Gracie said quickly before she could stop herself.It even hurt her, remembering her brother, so she couldn't even imagine what it would feel like to Melody, somebody bringing up her dead brother.

But she was too busy thinking to bother apologizing. She was, once again, thinking about her brother. God, why did she have to bring it up? Pushing a lock of blonde hair out of her eyes, Gracie was thinking about her brother's final minutes of life.

He had somehow made it to the last 2. It was only him and a Career. She had actually thought he was going to win, after she had gushed about him winning in the interviews. When he had been in the final 8. But no. The Career had slit his throat in his sleep, when Micheal had thought he was safe for the night. She could even remember her own words that night...

"No! He can't be dead." Gracie was crying, still staring at the TV as they showed her brother's face one more time before lifting him into the hovercraft. Her parents didn't bother saying anything, because their brave little girl was crying on their ripped up couch now.

Shaking her head to get the memory out of her mind, she tried to erase any signs of sadness or pain she had probably had on her face. Looking at Melody, Gracie sat there and waited for a response.

(( SO sorry for the wait! Feel free to yell at me..))
Back to top Go down
Gracilla Kelly
District 11
Gracilla Kelly

PostSubject: Re: A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~   A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~ I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 5:55 pm

((Bump???))
Back to top Go down
Melody Fraeder
District 11
Melody Fraeder

PostSubject: Re: A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~   A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~ I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 10:23 pm

Mel was struck by a pang of sadness at the mention of her brother. All the thoughts she had spent the day trying to suppress came rushing to the front of her mind at Gracie’s words. Mel was torn between anger at her classmate for reminding her of Donta and gratitude that the girl had actually been straightforward with her, rather than skirting around the subject and shooting her pitiful glances like just about everyone else. It went against her nature to choose anger, though, so Mel did her best to muster up a weak smile that ended up looking more like a twitch. “Oh, uh, thanks.” She answered softly.

The crazy mixture of emotions Mel was experiencing caused her to not register the rest of what Gracie said until a moment later. “Oh. Right.” In her sadness, Melody had completely forgotten that one of her own classmates had also lost her brother in the games. For a brief moment, Melody was glad to have someone who could understand what she was going through, but a second later she just felt bad that Gracie had to go through the same thing she was going through. Mel wondered if Gracie had been as close to her brother as she had been to Donta, but didn’t want to ask her classmate. Gracie seemed to be thinking of something unpleasant, too.

“How did you…” Mel spoke quietly, but quickly looked away from Gracie and plucked another apple from her tree. She wasn’t sure yet what she wanted to say, or if she even wanted to say anything at all. Would it be too painful for her if she questioned Gracie about losing her brother? Would it be to painful for Gracie? Melody blinked back the moisture that had suddenly appeared in her eyes and concentrated on her job for several minutes before she couldn’t take it any longer .

“Does it..” Mel asked softly, then hesitated. She took a deep breath then spoke up in a stronger voice “Does it every get any easier?” Mel looked back at Gracie, not even trying to hide the pain in her face. If anyone could understand, it was someone else who had lost her brother, right? If not, well, everyone already seemed to think (correctly) that Melody was a crazy depressed girl, so what was the harm? At the moment, Melody really had nothing to lose.

((I am so, so, SO incredibly sorry for how slow this was.))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~   A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~ I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A New Friend at Work ~Closed to Melody Fraeder~
Page 1 of 1