The Hunger Games RPG

The 15th Hunger Games have just ended leaving Faeryn Nacht of District One as the Victor. The citizens of Panem are trying to survive another year of uncertainty and fear, but what will the next reaping bring?

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Running in the Rain((Xander))

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hailey Summers
District 4
Hailey Summers

Running in the Rain((Xander)) Empty
PostSubject: Running in the Rain((Xander))   Running in the Rain((Xander)) I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 9:36 am

It was one of those days again, where Mother Nature had chosen to pour rain down in buckets, and lightning flashed in the sky. Thunder rumbled in the background of this cold, miserable day. The streets were nearly deserted, as most sane people had taken shelter in one of the buildings that lined the edge of the street. Yet, there was still one person, a sixteen-year-old girl running through the rain, hopelessly trying to reduce the amount of rain that was striking her freezing cold body. In her hand was a bucket filled with a variety of different types of fish. While in some districts it might be considered strange to be seen with a bucket full of dead fish, it was not an abnormality in District 4, where fishing was the biggest industry. What was strange, however, was that she was running with this bucket in the middle of a storm. She had been fishing at a river when it had begun to storm down on her. Her family really needed these fish, because if she didn’t get them home today, they would not get dinner. She was the main food-supplier of the Summers family, so to not hold her weight in keeping the family alive would embarrass her forever.

The rain began to blur her vision, preventing her from seeing her path. She tried to get her bearings while still running. That’s when she ran into the tree. It was all of the sudden, seeming like the tree had magically popped up in front of it. She crashed into it face-first, sending a burst of pain through her let cheek, which was where her face had first struck the tree. Hailey looked around dizzily for a moment, before shaking her head for a moment, clearing her head. She winced at the pain in her cheek, betting that there was definitely going to be a huge bruise on it tomorrow. And how embarrassing it would be at school tomorrow when people asked her about it. What would she tell them, that she ran into a tree? Maybe she could just make a joke out of it, avoiding the questions and just saying that she got in a gang fight. That would probably get a few laughs. Her mind set, Hailey prepared herself to look at the damage as she walked towards a nearby shop window. She looked into the reflexive glass and let out an angry sigh as she took in the fact that there was an angry-looking bruise on her cheek. It was impossible to miss.

This day just sucked- it was still raining, and now she had this horrible bruise. It was so cliché to think that it couldn’t get any worse, but it might actually be true right now. Hailey was done running through the rain like an idiot after that incident. She quickly gathered her fish from where they were lying on the ground and trudged over to a bench under a shop’s overhanging. She knew the guy who worked here, a Mr. John Smith. He was cool and wouldn’t yell at her for sitting right here, unlike most people who owned small businesses like this bakery. The smell of baking bread hit her nostrils, but she paid no attention to it. It wasn’t like she could afford it anyway. Maybe if she traded one of fish for a slice, but then again, she liked fish a lot more than she liked bread, especially if the fish had salt on it. Then, like magic, the rain suddenly stopped. There were puddles on the ground and a slippery environment all around, but it was definitely better than it had been before.

A grin broke out across her face- she could finally go home. What a relief that would be! She was wet, cold, and hungry, and it would be such a relief to get out of her clothes, which were beginning to get dryer, as well as her hair. Hailey quickly picked up her bucket of fish and egan running again, this time at a slow jog. She wanted to get home, but she didn't want to hit something again. Then, a voice called out,"Hey, Hailey, liking the rain? Did you go dancing in it, or something?" Slowing to a walk, she glanced over to the picnic tables at her left and spotted Kyle, a friend from school. She laughed and answered with humor lining her tone, "I totally love this rain- didn't see me dart outside last week and go dance?" Kyle shook his head as Hailey finished,"Of curse you didn't- that happens when stuff doesn't actually happe-" Hailey's voice cut off as she walked right into another person, someone she had failed to see when she was talking to Kyle. "I am sorry, really. Today has just been my I'm-a-clutz day."
Back to top Go down
Xander Simmons
District 4
Xander Simmons

PostSubject: Re: Running in the Rain((Xander))   Running in the Rain((Xander)) I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 2:15 pm

Rain. Why does it have to rain now? Xander thought as he was lugging home a huge load of firewood for his house. He had the logs placed carefully across his shoulders, a slightly uncomfortable position, but he could carry more wood that way. It was only sprinkling at the moment, cold drops of water pattering against his head and body, rolling down his cheeks and chest. He glanced up towards the sky, past the leafy tops of the woodland trees surrounding him. There were heavier, grayer rainclouds on the way, meaning that the storm was only going to get worse. Just as he said that, thunder cracked in the distance, causing him to jump and almost drop his load of wood. Regaining his footing, he watched as lightning danced across the sky, lighting the gloomy grey atmosphere to a dull purple color. It was a wonder to him how something so deadly and terrifying could be so beautiful at the same time. . . like a tiger, prowling through the tall grasses of the jungle. It is ferocious and could blow a fatal swipe, yet its beauty is without match.

As yet another bolt of lightning struck, new memories and thoughts pushed their way to the front of his mind. He remembered when he and his older twin sisters, Mae and Mary, would huddle together under the forts of blankets and pillows they had made when their father told them a storm was coming. They'd watch the lightning light up the sky in the safety of their fort and eat cookies their mother had saved for the occasion. Each time the thunder boomed and the lightning followed, they'd squeal and scoot even closer together. Then, once the storm was over, they'd emerge from their fort and run outside, splash in the puddles, and search for the end of the rainbow that was magically painted after the rain. Sometimes, if it was still raining once the thunder and lightning had ceased, they'd dance and play in the pouring rain.

Now, rain was a nuisance. It wasn't something to marvel at or dance in, but it was a hinderance. The wood was wet, so now they'd have to wait for it to be totally dry before it would be of any use to them; wet wood is pretty much impossible to use for a fire. Xander sighed. As he neared the town, the rain began to pour down more rapidly, the drop sizes increasing. Before, the rain had been like shaking sprinkles on the top of a cupcake. Now, it was like slathering gobs and gobs of frosting on a cupcake. His hair was completely soaked, his clothes, drenched. He could hear the water sloshing around in his worn white sneakers, his feet squelching with each step. "Wonderful." He groaned. He considered taking them off to empty them out, but he abandoned the idea as quickly as it came. They would just fill back up, anyway.

A cough rattled his body. "I better not be getting sick, especially so far away from home." He growled hoarsely. He had not dressed for the weather. He wore a short-sleeved white t-shirt and long jean pants. No raincoat, no umbrella. Xander had nothing to shield him from the rain and the sickness it could bring. Usually, he didn't hate the rain. But today it sucked his usual happy, helping attitude out of him and replaced it with a mood that matched the sky--grey and gloomy. He hoped his father might still have the shop open so he'd have some shelter from the cold and wet, at least until the storm passed.

Xander climbed up the steps to the porch of the Bait and Tackle shop, which his father owned. The wooden stairs creaked with each step he took. As he stepped under the porch, eyes trained on his feet, he was finally relieved of the relentless rain, but he was still sopping wet. Maybe there would be a towel somewhere inside. But as his hopeful brown eyes looked through the window, his shoulders dropped. There weren't any lights on inside. Just to be sure no one was in there, he knocked on the splintering wooden door. His knocking echoed down the deserted street. With a disappointed groan, Xander plopped down on the porch, letting the logs he was carrying roll of his shoulders and into a heap behind him. He leaned against the wall and his eyelids fluttered shut. He wasn't asleep, but he was waiting. Waiting for the sound of rain pattering against the shingled roof to stop, waiting for the storm to end.

It took ten minutes of silent waiting, but the storm was finally over. Xander pushed himself off the ground, shaking his damp hair and stretching in the weak but present sunlight. Heaving the wood back on his shoulders, Xander set off for home. Sweat rolled down his cheek. It was still cold outside, but to him it felt unusually warm, especially since the storm had just ended. Strange... He thought, wiping a bead of sweat off his forehead, but he thought nothing more of it. He had only gotten a few yards down the road when someone flew right into him, setting him, once again, off balance. His logs tumbled out of his grasp and onto the street. He looked for who had ran into him and found a pretty young lady, seemingly close to his age. Her blue-green eyes looked up apologetically at him. "I am sorry, really. Today has just been my I'm-a-clutz-day." She explained as he picked his logs back up from the ground. Sudden chills racked his body, but he tried to control the shaking as he said, "That's alright, accidents happen. Besides, we all have those days." Xander attempted a laugh, but instead he coughed violently.
Back to top Go down
Hailey Summers
District 4
Hailey Summers

PostSubject: Re: Running in the Rain((Xander))   Running in the Rain((Xander)) I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 10:56 pm

As soon as Hailey ran into the guy, she immediately felt guilt about it. This poor dude had just been minding his own business and had had the misfortune to choose the same path that she had chosen, albeit him going the opposite way. She felt especially guilty since she knew as soon as she looked at him that he was no one she knew. That was strange, since she knew most of the people around District 4, especially the people her age. As she studied the guy for a moment, she decided that he had to be older than sixteen, which was how she was. She had turned sixteen without much of a celebration just a few weeks ago. He seemed to be seventeen, maybe eighteen. She could never really tell with tall people.

There were those who were abnormally tall for their age and those who were just slightly tall for their age. Hailey was glad she wasn’t really tall or really short, just an average height at about 5”6. Neither height would be fun to deal with. She would hate to be one extreme or another, since being short would mean being looked upon as inferior, and being taller would mean being looking upon as some sort of genetic oddity, not that all tall people were. His hair was more average, though, a normal brown color similar to her own. It was his eyes that struck her as different. They were a light blue color, lighter than she had ever seen before. Hailey’s eyes, which were different in their own way colored blue-green, seemed perfectly normal compared to this guy’s eyes. In a way, though, his eyes were pretty cool, once you got over how different they were from most people’s.

An automatic “sorry” left her lips as she saw that he had been holding lots of wood when she had run into him. Why couldn’t she have looked where she had been going for once? That would’ve saved her this whole ordeal, besides the obvious benefit that she got to meet someone she had never met, always a plus in her mind. He commented on her second apology and explanation, “"That's alright, accidents happen. Besides, we all have those days." She grinned at him and answered, “Me more than most it seems- two accidents in one day,” motioning to her cheek, “must be some sort of record.” As she knelt down to the ground beside him, gathering a few of the sodden logs in her hands that he had been carrying, the boy let out a violent cough. She looked at the stranger worriedly, “Are you alright, dude? That sounded like one helluva cough.”

She turned her attention back to the logs, her thoughts beginning to drift. Could this guy have caught some kind of disease, or was he just sick? Pandemics were rare in the districts, but they didn’t happen every once in a while. She doubted that this was the case, though. A cough just symbolized a simple cold, which happened daily. With this wet weather, a cold wouldn’t be a strange sight. That paranoid part of her brain reassured, she began pushing more of the logs towards the stranger. Speaking of him being a stranger, Hailey decided it was time to introduce herself, just to be polite, “I’m Hailey, by the way. Hailey Summers.” She smiled at him and joked, “Maybe you’ve heard of me through my criminal record. I’ve committed two hit-and-runs when I ran into people in the rain. I’m a wanted felon here in District 4.” Hailey wasn’t that, but she wasn’t exactly the model teenager.

She had gotten in trouble before, although she had gotten no punishment from the Peacekeepers more serious than getting a scolding and being told never to do it again. She knew some kids who actually were real troublemakers, but she didn’t want to go down that path. Life in the districts was dangerous enough without adding a criminal record to the mix. Between the chance of being reaped for the Hunger Games, which almost no one, except for one each year, got out alive, and the daily threat from the Peacekeepers, who were known to beat the occasional person from time to time, life could be hard. It was the only life she knew, though, so she was happy enough with it. It wasn’t like she could survive outside of the districts anyway. All that was out there was miles of woods filled with dangers. If a dangerous predator didn’t get her, starvation most definitely would. Being a fisher only got you so far in life.

Beyond the fences of the district, danger lurked, danger that Hailey was not quite ready to deal with. Hailey stood up from where she had been kneeling down and glanced around the street. People were beginning to venture outside again now that the rain had stopped pouring down so fiercely. She waved to a random girl she knew from school and yelled a greeting to another, recognizing a lot of the people now romping up and down the street. She turned back to the guy she had bumped into and commented again, “So are you alright? I bet I ran into you pretty hard.” She closed her mouth after a moment after she realized that she might be speaking too much. She had a bad habit of not being able to close her mouth after it had been opened. Despite knowing that she probably should shut up now, she finished, “Sorry, I think I’m saying way too much. Bad habit of mine.”
Back to top Go down
Xander Simmons
District 4
Xander Simmons

PostSubject: Re: Running in the Rain((Xander))   Running in the Rain((Xander)) I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 4:35 pm

He smiled warmly as she helped him pick up his wood. Normally he would insist that she didn't need to help him, being the gentleman that he was, but at the moment something was... off. He couldn't really feel what. She murmured a few "sorry's" as they gathered the stray wood. As they did so, he sneezed wildly. He could feel his nose being clogged with mucus. Must've caught a cold. . . He thought angrily. It was something he expected, though. His family had a history of immune systems that were weaker than average. It wasn't super common in his family, though. The most recent relative with the same issue was his great grandmother. Situating the wood as comfortably as possible, he straightened his back. When he stood completely straight, he was at least 4 inches taller than the girl, maybe even 5. He didn't really like being really tall, standing at 5'11", but what could he do about it? She said something about his coughing, and asked if he was alright. He didn't really acknowledge her comment. Not like he was trying to be rude, but he was feeling really under the weather. Even though he felt this way, he tried his best to plaster a smile across his face and not show how crappy he was feeling. This cold has kicked in quickly. . .

He hunched his shoulders just slightly, hoping to lose a couple centimeters without looking like he had horrible posture. He looked down at the girl--something he had to do a lot-- as she said, "I’m Hailey, by the way. Hailey Summers. " She took a quick pause to flash a charming smile up at him, which he returned with, what he hoped to be, as much charm. She continued, "Maybe you’ve heard of me through my criminal record. I’ve committed two hit-and-runs when I ran into people in the rain. I’m a wanted felon here in District 4." Xander let out a good chortle at this. Looking at her, she looked nothing like a felon. Average height, well-kempt, and cheery. A criminal, in his opinion, would look more scraggly, shady, and gloomy. He looked at the ground, a murky puddle just at his feet. He could barely make out his reflection. Stray, dark brown hairs stuck up every which way, his usually neatly combed bangs sticking up. His eyes looked dull and sunken into his tan face, contrary to their usual brightness. He rubbed his chin. I really ought to shave soon. She probably thinks I'm a bum. He thought as he felt the stubble along his chin.

Looking away from the puddle, Xander realized he was still laughing at Hailey's joke. Embarrassed, he tried to stop himself from laughing, which only made him laugh harder. After his fit of laughter was over, he muttered a quick, "Sorry." Hailey didn't seem to notice, as she was already starting to say something else again. “So are you alright? I bet I ran into you pretty hard.” She clamped her mouth shut, suddenly. Ignoring this quirky little thing, he replied, "I'm fine, really. Seeing as your at least fifty pounds lighter than I am." He laughed good-naturedly at his own little joke... or an attempt at one. Xander had never been the funniest guy, and he didn't have the creative, hilarious spark that he envied of others.

Her cheeks seemed to flash a rosy red for a second. Why would she be embarrassed? He thought, cocking his head to the side. He did this when he was confused or curious. Hailey soon revealed the answer to his question when she said, "Sorry, I think I'm saying way too much. Bad habit of mine." A smile spread across his face. "No, not at all. I have two older twin sisters. I'm almost positive you can't beat that."

His sisters were always chatting about. . . well. . . just about everything that went on in District 4. They always had a story to tell, whether it be the latest gossip about Janice Eberly, a very "flirtatious and desperate" girl that was in his class, or how the soup at a restaurant had to be poisoned by the Capitol, since everyone who went there became very sick within the next two weeks. Try as you might, nothing could get Mae and Mary to shut up. And they weren't very quiet about what they talked about, either. Often times Xander heard girl talk from those two that he really wished he hadn't.

He looked back at Hailey and laughed, "Besides, it's much better to say too much than to never say anything. I once asked this extremely shy girl on a date because she was never asked. I thought she was just shy because no one gave her the chance to say anything. So I asked her to go grab a bite to eat with me after school. She was sweet, don't get me wrong, but she hardly said anything the entire time. Talk about awkward!" Suddenly, he slapped his forehead, which hurt more than he had expected. He hadn't even introduced himself to her! What an idiot he was. He thrust out his left hand, since he was a lefty, and said, "I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Xander. Xander Simmons." He felt a cough tickling the inside of his throat, but tried to hold it back the best he could. It would be nasty (not to mention not gentleman-like) if he hacked flim all over her.
Back to top Go down
Hailey Summers
District 4
Hailey Summers

PostSubject: Re: Running in the Rain((Xander))   Running in the Rain((Xander)) I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 8:10 pm

Hailey looked upward as the guy kindly smiled at her. She had to crane her neck slightly to look at his face, because he was quite a few inches taller than her. She was okay with that, though, because she was perfectly happy at her average height. As she made the joke, the guy laughed, which caused her to smile in relief. She hadn’t known if he was one of those people who took everything literally and considered everything, including jokes, a statement of fact. To be honest, those people tended to really annoy her- all of her best jokes went wasted on them. A person like that would’ve looked at her strangely when she had made that joke, thinking that she had really had a criminal record, which was obviously not true to any people with a shadow of a sense of humor. Thank god this guy wasn’t like that. If he had been, she probably would’ve walked away right then with some phony excuse like she had to go watch her little brother or that her family was expecting her at home right then. However, Hailey found herself making excuses to herself to keep talking to this dude. She was nothing if not social, and this was a social activity.

To Hailey’s surprise and amusement, she found that the boy was still laughing when she emerged from her ruminations. I never knew I was that funny, Hailey thought to herself with a spark of amusement. More likely, this guy was laughing to be polite, as most people did when they first met a person who told a joke. This was true in Hailey’s life at least. When she first met someone, she always laughed at their jokes, even if they weren’t funny in the least. This was because people always appreciated an attempt at laughter at their jokes, as Hailey felt herself feeling just right now. It tended to calm people down and not cause them to suddenly walk away in boredom. As long as someone was laughing, Hailey assumed that they were having a good time, or at least putting on a good show of actually having a good time. She couldn’t tell if that was this boy was doing or if he was just extremely amused at her joke, which might have been the truth for all she knew.

Both of them turned their attention away from what had just happened as Hailey inquired if the guy was alright after she ran into him. He replied, humor already evident in his joking tone, “I'm fine, really. Seeing as you’re at least fifty pounds lighter than I am." The boy immediately began laughing at his comment, and Hailey convincingly joined in, even though she had no idea what he meant by that. She supposed that she had just not understood it, as she sometimes did. Occasionally at school, someone made a comment that had everyone but Hailey laughing, which she figured was happening by now. Either way, though, as she had thought before, it was always polite to laugh at people’s jokes if they were obviously jokes. It wasn’t right to laugh if someone just made a common statement like “The weather’s nice today.” People might look upon her thinking that she was mental. She presumed that this guy had actually made a joke, though, so it was probably safe to join in. She cut off her laughter just before his chuckle ended.

She really was talking too much, but a rush of relief shot through her as he said, “"No, not at all. I have two older twin sisters. I'm almost positive you can't beat that." She replied, “You have sisters? God, you are so lucky! My family basically includes me, my parents, and my brothers-“ She cut herself off in the middle of her sentence and corrected herself, “Brother.” Even though it had been a few years now, she still sometimes thought of Sam and how- she cut herself off again, this time in mid-thought. It would do no good to dwell on the past, on what she couldn’t change. Even if she could turn back time, she wouldn’t have been able to have stopped Sam from being reaped. She turned herself back to the conversation, “It’s nice having a brother and all, but it’d be nice to have a sister around my age who could give me advice and help me from making stupid mistakes. My mom doesn’t really understand teenagers that much. My friends are basically the only female perspective in my life. What’s it like having sisters?” Hailey let out a quick chuckle at the guy’s story. She agreed, “Yeah, that would be awkward. That’s cool and nice, though, asking her out because of that. I couldn’t imagine going out with a guy who was quiet, unless he was really, really nice when he did talk.” Then, after all that, she finally learned the boy’s name: Xander Simmons. She grinned at him and told him, “Nice to meet ya, Xander. You know, that’s a really cool name. Really unique, too. Is it a family name, or did your mom just like how it sounded? I could see it being either one; either would make sense.”
Back to top Go down
Xander Simmons
District 4
Xander Simmons

PostSubject: Re: Running in the Rain((Xander))   Running in the Rain((Xander)) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 5:11 pm

Xander felt a surge of appreciation as she kindly laughed at his comments, which he had desperately tried to mix with some sort of humor. He wasn't exactly the funniest guy. It was nice to be laughed at--in a good way--rather than being the one to laugh at everyone else and not get anything in return. With his new-found good mood, Xander smiled as she talked about her own family. She mentioned how small her family was, and how it only contained her mother, father, brothers, and herself. She abruptly cut the rest of the sentence off and corrected herself by saying, "Brother." but he could tell there wasn't really need for correction.

The surname Summers had rang a bell when Hailey had introduced herself, but he couldn't figure out where he had heard it before. He scrunched up his nose and attempted to recall where he had heard the name before... Sam Summers! It came from one of the dusty corners of his brain that seemed to hide information that wasn't really important for every day life. Sam had been reaped for the Hunger Games a few years back. Though Xander had never really known Sam as a very good friend, he remembered the boy always seeming to be happy and love life. He also remembered how sad he had felt when Sam was killed in the Games. Of course, he felt sorrow for each and every fallen tribute, especially the ones from his District, as well as pity and despair for the families of those unfortunate families. Sam must've been Hailey's brother... That's why she corrected herself... He realized. He was pretty impressed with himself for putting two and two together.

Xander felt as though he should say something, console her in some way. But he hesitated. Why would she correct herself, as if Sam wasn't her family anymore? He doubted she meant it like that at all, though. Maybe she just didn't want to live in the past anymore. It must have been painful for her to think about her brother, not to mention how hard it would be on her to have other people, strangers who didn't know him near as well as she did, try to sympathize for her. Sure, those people were only trying to help, but it probably got tiresome and annoying. The people who attempted to show their sorrow for Sam's death didn't know him. She did, and was probably one of the closest people to him. They had no idea what they were talking about, nor what they were saying, and therefore were likely to cause her anger and frustration towards them.

After mulling it over for a while, Xander decided it best to not say anything. It wasn't his place to say anything. He just dismissed her correction and pretended that it was nothing. She seemed to have forgotten about what she said, too. Hailey moved on, “It’s nice having a brother and all, but it’d be nice to have a sister around my age who could give me advice and help me from making stupid mistakes. My mom doesn’t really understand teenagers that much. My friends are basically the only female perspective in my life. What’s it like having sisters?” Oh, there was too much to say. Sisters were great and all, but he had always wished for an older brother. He did have Braxton, though, and Mae and Mary were great. They were always looking out for him the few years that they were in school at the same time. Back then, he was quite the awkward, lanky child and often got made fun of for it. Mae and Mary stood up for him and told all his bullies to back off. They also helped him become the fashionable gentleman he was now. They taught him how to be the man all the girls would love, covering everything from merely holding the door open for ladies to the proper way to flirt without being creepy.

The great people that they were, the two twenty-one year old twin sisters did have their flaws. They were trustworthy, and he could tell them anything without worrying that his secret would get out, but they loved to poke fun at him. Especially when it came to girls. They would elbow him when the girl he had a crush on walked by, and devise plans to make the girl fall for him. But it was worse at home. They always brought up the girl at home, asked him how it was going, and relentlessly taunted him. They even did it in front of his parents, which was super embarrassing. They also talked about girl stuff ALL the time. Stuff that he NEVER needed to know. But that was typical of most girls...

He realized that he had been staring into space. Snapping his attention back at Hailey, he answered her question by saying, "Sisters are awesome, for the most part. You're lucky you have older brothers. I have a pesky little brother, Braxton, but I've always wanted an older brother. I've also got a little sister named Claire." He said, twiddling his thumbs. "How do you feel about your brothers?" He asked, looking into her eyes. Catching his mistake too late, he tried lamely to mend his sentence, "Erm... umm... I mean, brother." Hopefully she wouldn't notice his blunder. He didn't want to bring up Sam, since it would probably hurt her to talk about him.

“Yeah, that would be awkward. That’s cool and nice, though, asking her out because of that. I couldn’t imagine going out with a guy who was quiet, unless he was really, really nice when he did talk.” Xander was confused for a bit by what she meant, then realized she was commenting on his story about the shy girl that he took on a date. "Thanks. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and actually get to know them before I judge character or anything else. I hate when people judge me or others without even talking to the person or giving them a chance. They just base their opinion on what other people have told them." He said.

“Nice to meet ya, Xander. You know, that’s a really cool name. Really unique, too. Is it a family name, or did your mom just like how it sounded? I could see it being either one; either would make sense.” Hailey said, with a smile that was radiant and white. The smile lit up her facial features as if she had shined an ultra-bright flashlight on herself. Xander scratched his head. "You know, I'm not really sure where my name came from. I don't remember any relatives with my name, so I think my parents just liked the way it sounds. I do, too. It's different than most other people's names. I remember I thought I was so cool when I was little; I was the only kid in my class with a name that started with an X." He laughed, smiling at his own silliness. He tilted his head to the side and asked, "So, what were you doing out in the rain today?" He shifted the load of wood on his shoulders. It was starting to make his back sore. Before she could respond, he said, "Why don't we sit down?" He motioned towards a little bench a few yards away. Walking over to the wet brown bench, he swiped a hand over the wooden surface, wiping off the water until it was as dry as he could make it. He plopped down on the bench and patted the seat next to his.
Back to top Go down
Hailey Summers
District 4
Hailey Summers

PostSubject: Re: Running in the Rain((Xander))   Running in the Rain((Xander)) I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 9:23 pm

"Sisters are awesome, for the most part. You're lucky you have older brothers. I have a pesky little brother, Braxton, but I've always wanted an older brother. I've also got a little sister named Claire," Xander commented. She shook her head when he said she was lucky to have older brothers and replied, “Nah, I don’t have any older brothers. Just Jake, and he’s only five years right now. He can be a bit annoying at times, when he wants to show me everything “interesting” he finds. I swear, he once came up to me with a dead rat and thought I’d be impressed.” She loved Jake, though. He always kept her in laughter, except when he acted too much like a little kid. It was really pity that there was an eleven year age gap between them. By the time he got older, she would probably be moved out of the house and possibly with her own family. That wouldn’t be for a while yet, though.

It was kind of strange thinking of what could happen in the future, since it was difficult enough surviving from day to day here. Maybe, one day, her own kid would be going through exactly what she was going through now, walking with a guy through the streets in a rain on his/her way home from supporting his/her family. That would suck if even when she was older, her own family was struggling along- she wouldn’t want her own kids to have to work daily just to keep their family alive. Hailey swore then and there that she would do everything possible to prevent that, while not letting any of her kids take tesserae. She had seen on the screens what happened to kids who went into the Hunger Games, and it was not pretty. Still, it was only two kids from District 4 each year, so the odds were in their favor anyway. It wasn’t a time to be thinking of that kind of stuff, because if she ever did happen, it would be in several years.

Hailey turned her attention back to the conversation as Xander spoke again, “How do you feel about your brothers?” She opened her mouth to answer, but he cut her off, “Erm... umm... I mean, brother." Hailey looked at him with confusion in her eyes for a moment. What was he talking about? Then, it hit her that he knew about Sam, how he had been reaped. She wasn’t quite sure how he had figured it out, but there was no doubt in her mind that Xander knew the story of her deceased brother. Even so, she decided not to call him on it. That wouldn’t bring anything but a long conversation she did not want to have with a guy she had just met. She tended to want to know people more than, say a few minutes, before talking about more serious stuff. She opted not to call Xander on that comment and instead answered his question, “Oh, Jake’s cool. He definitely brings a lot of humor to my life. He’s just so young, though, and I can’t ever have a real conversation with him. Besides the fact that I can’t talk to him, he’s the perfect little brother.”

This conversation with Xander about their families, despite her best efforts, was bringing back thoughts of Sam. Unlike Jake, Hailey could actually talk to Sam about almost anything, and he was willing to listen, despite five year age gap. He was the reason Hailey had taken a positive outlook on life. Once, when she was eight, he had sat her down in a chair and told her ominously, “There’s no point to life if you don’t live it happily. You’d just be a depressed old hag with no family. So be happy!” Sam had burst out laughing after that as if his comment had been a joke, but Hailey had never forgotten it, and the message that “joke” gave her had served her well for eight years after that. People liked happy people a whole lot more than they cared for those who were depressed and hated life. Hailey would feel the same way as anyone else on that topic. God, she missed him more than anything. What she would do to have him back in her life, to be able to see his happy face, to hear his kind voice, to laugh along with his boisterous laughter.

Xander was the reason she managed to break her out of her thoughts that time because he interrupted the gloomy thoughts with a comment in reply to her inquiries about the origin of his name. “You know, I'm not really sure where my name came from. I don't remember any relatives with my name, so I think my parents just liked the way it sounds. I do, too. It's different than most other people's names. I remember I thought I was so cool when I was little; I was the only kid in my class with a name that started with an X.” She smiled at his last comment; it would be really cool to have a name like that, a name no one else shared. “Hailey” was such a common name in this district. She had met at least four Hailey’s in her school, and there were no doubt more that she hadn’t gotten the chance to meet yet. It would be cool to be named something like Willow or Zee. Those would be a heck of a lot more interesting than plain old “Hailey.”

"So, what were you doing out in the rain today?" She opened her mouth to respond to this simple question, but Xander beat her to speaking as he suggested that they sit down. She mulled over this for a moment and decided it would be okay to do this. Her family would be alright for a little while longer. She strolled over to the place he was motioning to and set down the bucket of fish to the side. She then plopped down beside Xander. She decided that now would be the appropriate time to answer his question, now that they were both settled on the bench, which was a whole lot better than standing up. She told him, “I was out fishing when it started to rain. I was just running home when I ran into you. How about you? I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess that it has something to do with that wood that you’re holding.” She smirked and asked another question, “So…do you have any…um…pets?” She had stammered for a moment because for once, she had not known what to say. Today was an odd day- Hailey Summers at a loss for words- it almost never happened.
Back to top Go down
Xander Simmons
District 4
Xander Simmons

PostSubject: Re: Running in the Rain((Xander))   Running in the Rain((Xander)) I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 12:10 pm

Xander smiled and listened as she began to talk about her little brother, Jake, but he didn't pay much attention. Not because Hailey wasn't interesting, because she was very interesting to talk to, but he was worrying himself over his blunder. He didn't want her to like. . . break down over her brother who had died a long time ago. If she did, Xander would do his best to comfort her, but only with sympathy. Not empathy. He had never lost anyone in his family to death, let alone the Games. That would be the hardest passing to deal with, in his opinion. When someone died of natural causes,--like hunger, age, or sickness-- or when they were killed by an accident, it was easier on the heart. People could console themselves by reminding themselves that no one was to blame for their loved one's death. Nothing could have been done to stop it. But with the Games, you know it could've been stopped. You know that all the Capitol had to do was stop the Games, and your loved one could've been saved. It was virtually impossible to find any sort of comfort in that situation...

Hatred surged through Xander. He usually tried to turn the other cheek when it came to the Capitol. He didn't like feeling hatred towards anyone, even the Capitol. But this time, he couldn't control the white hot rage that was boiling inside him. It just wasn't fair. They tore families apart. 24 families were devastated yearly, just because they were hungry for control and power. The injustice and stupidity of it all angered him. Couldn't the Capitol see that they'd soon be their own demise? All the years of sending innocent children to fight to the death would come right back at them. Xander just knew it.

He shook his head, clearing his thoughts. He couldn't let himself go off on a tangent right now. Looking up at Hailey, he listened as she began telling him her reason for being out today. "I was out fishing when it started to rain. I was just running home when I ran into you. How about you? I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess that it has something to do with that wood that you’re holding.” She said with a playful smile. He grinned back and said, "Ding ding ding, we have a winner!" He hadn't noticed that he was still holding the wood, and was suddenly aware of how much it weighed. He let it roll out of his arms and onto the ground. Rubbing the soreness out of his shoulders, he tilted his head in Hailey's direction. He noticed that she had plopped the pail of fish fairly close to him, and they reeked. The fishy smell was something you go used to in District 4, though, so it wasn't too bad. “So…do you have any…um…pets?” She asked with a slight stutter.

Xander furrowed his brow. "Nope, I don't. Never have, and probably never will." He frowned. He wasn't much of a fan of animals, but there was one animal that he did love. Dogs. Ever since he was little, he had always wished he could have a puppy of his own, a loyal best friend. Something about their charming smiles with tongues lolled out, their enticing eyes that begged for just one more belly rub, and the constant wag of their tails made him fall in love with dogs. Especially the larger ones, like Bernese Mountain Dogs, Great Danes, and Saint Bernards. "I've always wanted a dog, but my family can't really afford a pet. We can barely keep ourselves alive. What about you?" He asked, stretching his legs out and emitting a loud yawn.
Back to top Go down
Hailey Summers
District 4
Hailey Summers

PostSubject: Re: Running in the Rain((Xander))   Running in the Rain((Xander)) I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Today was a pretty good day, even though it had started out so badly with being trapped in the rain with a bucket of dead fish at a river. She wouldn’t have met Xander, who seemed cool so far, if she hadn’t been forced to run home. She knew almost all of the teens now, even though she wasn’t in touch with all of them. There were some people who disliked her and refused to talk to her, like the Careers. She groaned internally; she had been part of the reason why they disliked her. She had been so distraught after Sam’s death in the Hunger Games and had been angry at the Capitol for taking her brother. She couldn’t strike out at the Capitol, so she had struck out at the next best thing- the Careers. Those kids actually wanted to go to the game of death and reveled in the training that could lead them to victory. Hailey had never understood them, but she knew that they were the Capitol’s lapdogs. That’s why she had went and punched one of the most prominent of the Careers right in his perfect nose.

The expression on his face had definitely been worth the hate she got from that afterwards. It was her fault, anyway, and she really couldn’t blame the Careers for hating her. If someone had gone and punched one of her friends, she wouldn’t want to have to go skip in a field with them. This enemity between her and the Careers would probably come back to haunt her if she ever got, by some ill chance, reaped into the Hunger Games. The Careers may be lapdogs, but they were talented lapdogs that almost always won the games. An alliance with them could lead to winning the whole “game.” Still, it was doubtful she would ever have to fight in the Hunger Games. The odds were stacked in her favor, as there were thousands of other girls of reaping age in District 4. Hailey let out a hearty laugh as Xander replied to her comment about his trip in the rain, “Ding ding ding, we have a winner!" Xander certainly did have a sense of humor, Hailey thought with a smile.

“Nope, I don't. Never have, and probably never will.” Ah, the plight of many people in the districts. It was hard enough to feed yourself, let along an animal. Animals ate so much and so often. This might not be the problem in Xander’s case, though. Perhaps one of his many family members were allergic to animal dander or fur, and perhaps his parents were haters against pets. Those, and many other possibilities, could be what was keeping Xander from a pet. There was only one way to find out. She opened her mouth to ask the simple question of “why not?” when Xander answered it with his next statement, “I've always wanted a dog, but my family can't really afford a pet. We can barely keep ourselves alive. What about you?" So she had been right with her first assumption that it was money/food keeping him from a pet.

Hailey mulled over how to answer his question for a few moments. She didn’t have a pet, and telling him that would require an explanation of the two reasons of why not. The first reason was the obvious one, that her family would never be able to afford to keep a pet. The other simple truth was that she was scared to death of dogs, the only animal her parents said they would get if they could ever afford it. It was just that dogs had those really sharp teeth that looked like they could bite off her hand in one bite. Also, they could run so freaking fast. There was no way that she would ever be able to outrun one if it chased her. Dogs were just menaces on four legs that she feared. Plus, she had heard stories of wild dogs lurking in the woods beyond the fence, and there had once been a man who had come back from the forest mauled from one of those beats. He had been forced to tell the doctors this, which resulted in a near-death beating for him when he recovered from his bite wounds. That incident had added even more to her intense fear of dogs.

Hailey decided to just leave out the fear of dogs thing out of her explanation. To be honest, it would be kind of embarrassing to admit that to Xander. Dogs were one of the most beloved pets in the district, and Xander was one of those who loved dogs. She shook his head in response to his question, “Nah, we could never afford a pet. It would take way too much care and food that we would never be able to give the animal.” Hailey glanced down nervously at the ground; she didn’t want to have to leave thing out of her comments, which in her mind constituted as lying. Hopefully Xander hadn’t caught her glancing down at the ground, which could give him the idea that she might be “lying” to him, which wasn’t exactly true. She decided that now would be a good time to change the subject to something else that didn’t involve her secret fear. She commented, “I think the weather’s beginning to clear up some, thank god. I was starting to get tired of all this water. Waterbelongs in rivers and seas, definitely not the sky.” Oh god, she was babbling again. Still, she couldn’t help herself from asking another question on her mind, “So…what’s your favorite color?” It was a random question, yes, but it was always interesting for Emily to ask for some starnge reason.
Back to top Go down
Xander Simmons
District 4
Xander Simmons

PostSubject: Re: Running in the Rain((Xander))   Running in the Rain((Xander)) I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 2:30 pm

“Nah, we could never afford a pet. It would take way too much care and food that we would never be able to give the animal.” He smiled at her. Her family must be similar to mine... He thought, folding his arms across his chest. Hailey glanced down at the ground, her eyes narrowing. She was hiding something from him, something she didn't want him to know. Shrugging, he ignored this flash of nervousness when she said, “I think the weather’s beginning to clear up some, thank god. I was starting to get tired of all this water. Water belongs in rivers and seas, definitely not the sky.” He laughed. He personally liked the rain. That is, if he was inside, watching it from the window, or if he was dancing in the rain with Claire. Sure, he was a horrendous dancer. He probably looked like a flopping walrus in his attempts to dance, and he was sure many people had seen him do this, but he didn't care. The light in Claire's eyes, the smile spread on her pale, dimpled face made his embarrassment worth it. Right now, though, he would rather the rain go away. Rain, rain, go away, come again some other day... Mae had taught him that song when he was little, and every time rain fell he always found himself singing that at some point.

"Yeah, the rain can be a pain for working kids like us." He sighed, looking up at the sky. The grey clouds were moving sluggishly away, taking the heavy rain with them. Lighter grey clouds were coming along, barely sprinkling rain. A droplet landed right on Xander's nose, then his forehead, and his lips. It trickled into his mouth. It tasted fresh and sweet. Xander took in a deep breath. Another thing he did love about the rain was the way it smelled once the storm calmed down. He loved how everything was so clean, even the earth itself. That, and the rainbow it left behind. Claire would always run outside excitedly and search for the end of the rainbow, since Braxton told her there was gold. And, of course, she would get tired and make Xander carry her the rest of the way on his shoulders. They never found the gold at the end of the rainbow, but the bonds they created were much more valuable to Xander than any amount of gold in the world.

Xander found himself searching for a rainbow, narrowing his eyes and looking around town. It should have appeared by now, but there wasn't one yet. “So…what’s your favorite color?” Hailey asked, drawing his attention back towards her. What a random question. He thought. But that was fine with him. He asked people random questions all the time. Sometimes, the most random questions help you get to know people better, help you see who that person really is. But now that he was asked what his favorite color is, he didn't really know. Maybe it was a light blue, the color of water lapping onto the ocean shore. Or maybe it was the sandy color of the shore itself. He also loved the colors of the sunset, a beautiful blend of purple, pink, and orange. But then a certain color came to mind, and he knew it was his favorite. "Yellow. It's just such a happy color. It reminds me of the best things in my life." Things like Claire's blonde hair, the sun shining after the storm, Summer, and happiness itself. Whenever someone talked about happiness, the color yellow seemed to pop up in Xander's mind. He didn't know why, but it just did. Seemingly content with his answer, her smiled. He had found a favorite color, something he had never really dwelled on before. "What about you? What's your favorite color?" He asked Hailey, looking at her intently. He was trying to figure out what color she would most like. What color matched her personality. He hadn't known her for nearly long enough to decide this, but it would be fun to try before she answered. She seemed very funny... orange always reminded him of humor. Or maybe purple. He didn't really have an explanation for why he thought purple was her favorite, he just did.

Xander toyed with a string on the hem of his shirt. Little things like this always seemed to bother him. He got so easily distracted, it wasn't even funny. Of course, it wasn't his fault. He had ADD. Unlike ADHD, he wasn't hyper and didn't bounce around from place to place. He was just always scattered here and there, making it really difficult for him to force his mind to focus on tasks that needed to be done, especially if he was working near the ocean. The ocean had so much to offer, so many things to discover, that you could spend your whole life in the water yet never find 1% of what was hidden beneath its rolling waves. With age, his attention problems were getting better. Slowly, but surely. He continued to tug at the loose strand of fabric, trying to snap it off the shirt so it wouldn't bother him anymore. When he noticed that tugging on it only made it longer and therefore more bothersome, he gave up with a snort. He would just have to fix it later. That is, if he could remember to fix it.

The rain was now falling very sparingly; only a few drops plopped from the sky above. Xander watched as a small drop splashed into a puddle near the bench, creating a ripple on its surface. The water itself was murky. He longed to jump up and splash in the puddle like he did with Claire, but he controlled the urge. "So, what's your favorite... season?" He asked. Why not stay on the favorites subject a little longer? He could find out some interesting stuff about Hailey, see what they had in common, and then expand on that. Favorites were great conversation sparks. But with Hailey, he didn't feel like he was battling for what to say. It was easy to talk to her, just as easy as it was to talk to Mae and Mary, or an old friend. Something about her was calming and didn't make him feel so tense. Maybe it was her incessant sense of humor. Jokes seemed to spill out of her mouth no matter what they were talking about. It could also be that she talked even more than he himself did. He considered himself a very talkative person, but she definitely topped his chattiness. Some people might find her constant talking annoying, but he liked it.
Back to top Go down
Hailey Summers
District 4
Hailey Summers

PostSubject: Re: Running in the Rain((Xander))   Running in the Rain((Xander)) I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Hailey let a smile of relief as Xander laughed at her hasty change of subject. If he had noticed her nervous gestures when she had lied. Well, she hadn’t exactly lied, but her parents had drilled it into her that the lie of omission was just as bad as lying flat out. She remembered a time when she had flunked a test in school when she had been fourteen. She had been staring downward the whole time when she had been telling her mom about her how her day had been absolutely fantastic. Her mom knew her too well and had guilted her into admitting about that horrible test. Needless to say, her mom had given her a lecture to remember about the omission lie, and Hailey didn’t remember in that warm, fuzzy way that happened when people recalled a nice day off or the birth of a much-awaited sibling that was a favorite sibling.

"Yeah, the rain can be a pain for working kids like us,” Xander commented. Hailey fully agreed. It was hard enough to have to work daily when she was still so young and should be enjoying life to the fullest, as most of the rich kids who didn’t have to work were. Factoring in rain in what was probably the wettest of all the districts just made working, a time-consuming chore nonetheless, just plain out miserable. If this rain started up again, she would have to brave it. If she didn’t work, then, to put it simply, her family would starve. That would be a total disaster, because it would be all Hailey’s fault since it was her job to keep the family in fish. Her dad made money for everything they would need besides food, and her mom and Jake kept the house clean and the meals cooked. After that moment of thought, Hailey replied to Xander’s comment with a single, simple word , “Agreed.” It wasn’t much of an answer, but more words would be overkill.

An annoyed sigh left Hailey’s lips as a tiny drop of water splashed against her chin, but when she glanced up at the sky, scanning for signs of heavy clouds, all she spotted was light gray clouds that signified that the heavy rain. A wide smile spread across her face as she took in this happy thought. If there had been more rain, her mood would’ve plummeted, but the opposite weather of what she had unhappily predicted brought her peace in the fact that she would be able to go fish so more later. Well, it was more the fact that she would be able to pull her share rather than that she was going to be able to fish that had Hailey relaxed. Now that there was no threat of heavy rain that would ruin her day, Hailey was able to appreciate the soothing feeling the rain brought. It was cold against her skin, a feeling she had to appreciate. She definitely wasn’t a fan of the heat, more so a lover of the cold. When it was cold, she could put more layers on to keep herself comfortable. When it was hot, however, it wasn’t like she could take her clothes off, unless she wanted some very, very angry Peacekeepers chasing her to get her clothes back on. The thought of the Peacekeepers’ faces if she actually had the guts and stupidity to do that had her lips twitching in amusement.

"Yellow. It's just such a happy color. It reminds me of the best things in my life,” answered Xander on the matter of his favorite color. Hailey could clearly understand that being Xander’s favorite color. Xander seemed to be a pretty happy guy, from what she could see. Yellow was definitely the right color for him. However, as he asked her about hers, she couldn’t easily think of an answer. There were so many amazing colors that she loved. Blue, like the color of the sky at its brightest. Gray, like the color of her mom’s eyes. But, right now, she decided that green had to be her favorite. It was the color of grass when it was growing well. Green was the color that made up a lot of her eye color, one of her favorite features. It was even the color of trees and the stems of the most beautiful flowers. After deciding that, she firmly told him, “Green, for sure. It’s the color of life, what makes up everything in the world. I gotta say, I definitely like life, so green for the win!”

Hailey spotted another group of people heading across the street a small bit away. She wasn’t sure, but she could swear that she might recognize a few of the people in the group. She suspected that one was David, a really annoying jock who was really full of himself. He was so sure that he was the most wanted guy in the school, which was true in a way. Hailey didn’t like him but she knew of several girls who actually did. Walking right next to him was Mark, David’s right hand man, a lot nicer than David. He actually was less cocky and could be considerate at times. Mark waved at her as he spotted her, and her hand waved back in response. He smiled at her as he walked away; she turned her attention back to Xander as he asked a question about her favorite season.

Hailey smiled at the uniqueness of the question and answered without hesitation, since she knew the answer from the bottom of her heart, “Winter- I love the cold. Weird, I know, but I can’t stand the heat. It’s just so relieving to feel the cold; it’s so soothing.” She nodded to show she wasn’t kidding this time; she actually adored winter more than any other season. Summer and spring were too hot. Fall was okay, but it could get too warm at times. She gestured at him, “So how about you? Wait, let me guess- I bet you love spring. Am I right, or am I so wrong it’s embarrassing?” She grinned at him and decided to ask another question to continue the conversation, “So what’s your favorite…hm…number?”
Back to top Go down
Xander Simmons
District 4
Xander Simmons

PostSubject: Re: Running in the Rain((Xander))   Running in the Rain((Xander)) I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Hailey answered all of his questions, happily going on about her favorite color and season. “Green, for sure. It’s the color of life, what makes up everything in the world. I gotta say, I definitely like life, so green for the win!” Xander snapped his fingers, as if to say, "Shoot!" Guess I was wrong about the favorite color. He thought to himself, disappointed. He was never really a good judge of character, anyway. He couldn't tell how people truly were until he got to know them very well. See, there were certain people he knew that could detect who you were, what you were like, and what you liked, all in one thorough search with those soul-searching eyes. He shuddered at the very thought of those eyes he had seen on a few people's faces. Mothers almost always had eyes that looked like that when they were trying to detect lies. Xander remembered when he tried to lie to cover up little mistakes he made as a kid, how his mother would glare at him, and he would almost immediately cry out the truth.

Hailey waved at a boy down the road, who returned a charming smile and waved back. He knew that boy. It was Mark, a friend of his. Sure, they weren't best buds, but they hung out every now and then, and they always played basketball together. Xander winced slightly as he took note of the kid next to Mark--David. David was always strutting around school, as if he owned the place. He was a trouble-maker, too, doing things to the Peacekeepers that they couldn't necessarily beat him bloody for, but they were bothersome. At least, he said he did these things. No one had ever really caught him in the act, so there weren't any witnesses to back him up. He also made fun of Xander every now and then for being kind to everyone. When he helped the geek whose books David had just knocked to the ground, he would get his other jerk friends to point and laugh. But Xander didn't let it get underneath his skin. He knew that he was doing the right thing, and that was enough for him. There were times, though, when something really ticked Xander off, when he really wanted to give him a good pop in the mouth, show him that he could stand up for himself. But he would only battle him with his words, defending himself and the others David terrorized day to day.

Soon after he had asked what her favorite season was, she answered, “Winter- I love the cold. Weird, I know, but I can’t stand the heat. It’s just so relieving to feel the cold; it’s so soothing.” Xander shivered once again at the very thought of that cold, miserable season. The freezing, bitter wind that lashed on your dry cheeks, numb fingers that could barely move under his thin gloves, and of course, the runny nose that always seemed to come along with the first snowfall. The only thing he enjoyed about Winter was playing in the snow, whether it be having a snowball fight with Braxton, making snow men with Mae and Mary, or flopping on his back in the snow and making snow angels with Claire. Everything else about Winter was awful. It was just too cold for his liking; he loved the warmth that Summer and Spring brought. And Winter was much too sad for him. It reminded him off death and ending...

He himself was more of a Spring person. Spring was so bright and happy, so cheery and warm. He had to admit that in the Summer, sometimes it got a little too warm. He loved Spring because it wasn't too hot, but it wasn't cold, either. And the light rain that was always brought along with this Season was nice, too. Xander was impressed and surprised when Hailey said, “So how about you? Wait, let me guess- I bet you love spring. Am I right, or am I so wrong it’s embarrassing?” "No. You're actually spot-on." He gave her a little smile. "I love the Spring. It's so... well, happy, as I said before about my favorite color. I guess I'm just a happy guy." He shrugged, smirking. "I also love it because it's a time of renewal, a time of regrowth. It makes me happy knowing that even through the hardest times, everything still grows back, even greener than before." He felt like he was going really deep into his favorite season, deeper than he probably should, so he was grateful when she changed the subject.

Number? Favorite number? Xander panicked slightly. Now this was a question he had never really thought about. How could you pick a favorite number? There wasn't really a reason to have a favorite number, and numbers were just... well... numbers. There wasn't anything, other than maybe shape, that set them apart from all the others. Maybe he could decide based on a childhood experience or a great memory... a favorite number could appear somewhere in there, like the number he rolled to win a game, or the address of one of his crushes. Perhaps even a date would suffice as a favorite number, one that reminded him of something important in his life. Too much thought! Just pick one! A voice inside his head screamed. "Er... I like 8," He laughed at his own stuttering, then continued, "because... I remember I liked to write it when I was a little kid. The loops were fun to draw." Once again, he gave an answer that satisfied him, and didn't make him feel like an idiot. "What about you?" He asked. Surely if she asked the question, she'd expect to be asked the same.

He stretched again. For some reason, he was feeling pretty darn tired today. The rain was now decreasing even more, to where only a few drops splashed onto the muddy earth. The sun peeked out from behind the clouds, lightly warming the ground below it, lighting up everything around it. Xander loved this part, when the sun broke away from the gloomy clouds and, once again, brought sunshine to the world. He looked over his shoulder. "A rainbow!" He shouted, pointing with a over-exaggerated enthusiasm. Embarrassed, he cupped his hand over his mouth. "Sorry," He explained, removing his hand so she could hear him. "I look for rainbows with my sister, Claire, after the rain. So I'm kinda used to acting super duper excited when I see one." He kept his eyes on the rainbow. It was spread across the sky, bright and bold because it was new. He knew that it would fade soon, so he enjoyed it while he could. All the colors of the rainbow were present--red, orange yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. His mother had taught him the memory trick for that,'ROYGBIV'. It didn't make any sense whatsoever, but it stuck with him.

He looked back at Hailey, who he could see was still a little damp from the rain. His own clothes were still soaked with water. A cough rattled deep in his chest, and as he let it out, it scratched at his lungs, as if a kitten were living inside them. The pain was excruciating, so much, that he doubled over in pain, his body still having a coughing fit.
Back to top Go down
Hailey Summers
District 4
Hailey Summers

PostSubject: Re: Running in the Rain((Xander))   Running in the Rain((Xander)) I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Hailey decided that Xander seemed cool. He was able to keep up a nice conversation, one of Hailey’s favorite traits in a person. She didn’t hate against people who could barely talk to a person, but she didn’t really drift towards them when she was making friends. She was more of a type of person who loved to talk and talk; there were some haters who didn’t like when she was talking, but she wasn’t going to change for those few. Her personality was more set in stone, never to change like some people did. She knew of people who changed based on who they met; if there was a jock, they became cocky and miraculously found a love of sports even if they were the most uncoordinated kid in the whole entire world. If they met a geek, they would begin talking about the origin of coal dust and the mathematical formula for how to calculate the speed of a moving train. If Hailey ever met anyone who did that, there would be no chance she would ever become friends with them.

As Hailey turned away from where Mark and David were walking away, she noticed a strange expression on Xander’s face as he glanced at the pair behind her, almost like a wince. That was rather weird- if Hailey had had to guess, she would’ve placed Xander as a friend of David’s, at least in appearances. All the popular people were if they wanted to keep and perhaps advance their popularity. Xander had a confident air around him, one that Hailey noticed around all the well-liked boys. Maybe David and Xander had had some sort of spat; many people didn’t like David behind his back, but Hailey wouldn’t have thought that Xander would make that face in front of her. For all Xander knew, she was a fan girl of David. For all he knew, she had been waving to David, and Mark had just been happening to wave at her at the same time. It wasn’t true, but Xander probably didn’t know that.

A chuckle escaped her lips as she noticed Xander’s response to her speech about the winter. She could see something that resembled a shiver cross out across his face. Apparently, Xander wasn’t as big a fan of winter as she was. It was a pity that she hadn’t found a fellow winter soul, but that was to be expected. Not many people liked the feel of the crisp air on their skin and how when they went to sleep, the combination of warm blankets and the winter air produced the perfect temperature for sleeping. When it was really hot, she wouldn’t be able to fall asleep for hours because the heat was just uncomfortable. The only positive about the heat was the clothes she was able to wear. During the winter, she had to layer on clothes to keep from freezing to death. In the summer, she was able to wear tank tops, short shorts, and at times, she could even wear flip-flops, her favorite type of shoes.

After noting Xander’s facial expression, it was easy to guess that he was a fan of the warmer months. When she had figured that out, it had been a choice between spring and summer, and spring was one of the most popular seasons, for whatever reason. She did have some good memories of the spring, though. Like when she and a few friends had snuck out in the middle of the night during the spring of two years ago and camped out on the beach. Their parents had been pretty mad, but it had been really fun. There had been another time when, towards the end of the spring last year, had led one of the best pranks that had ever hit the school. She, with most of her class, had taken all of the furniture out of the school and put it on the roof. No one had ever figured out how they had done it and who had led the prank, but everyone refused to give up their secret, even though the mayor said that the person who said those two pieces of information would get complete amnesty. The whole class had gotten detention, but everyone agreed that it had been worth it, especially since they had gotten the day of while the teachers figured out how to get the furniture off of the roof.

"I love the Spring. It's so... well, happy, as I said before about my favorite color. I guess I'm just a happy guy. I also love it because it's a time of renewal, a time of regrowth. It makes me happy knowing that even through the hardest times, everything still grows back, even greener than before.” So her guess had been right. She let out a fake groan at his answer, even though she wasn’t really disappointed in his answer. She laughed, “No! You’ve gone to the dark side of those who like spring.” She shook her head slowly with a smile on her face, “And here I was thinking that you were a cool guy.” Even though she had just made her comments, she did decide that Xander’s answer was really deep. Most people would just state their favorite season and maybe a reason or two why, but Xander had found a really deep metaphor all about the green and the regrowth/renewal of the world.

Hailey laughed a bit at Xander’s answer about his favorite number. 8 had been fun to draw as a kid, but for her, that wasn’t her favorite number. For whatever reason, she knew her favorite number already. After a moment of silence, she told him, “7. For as long as I’ve known, whenever I’m stressed out, I count to 7 seven times. For whatever reason, it calms me down a lot. It’s saved me a few times from some fights that I thought I was going to get into.” She looked down at her feet for a moment, embarrassed to have admitted that or to even have that trait in the first place. She looked back up after a moment, though- she thought to herself, I don’t need to be embarrassed by who I am. It just makes me more awesome that I have a quirky trait. It was a bit cocky, but it helped her feel better.

Her thoughts of her quirk were broken off as Xander yelled, “A rainbow!” Hailey only had to scan the sky for a moment to spot the sight that had excited Xander so much. She had to admit, it was a beautiful sight. It had stretched across the whole sky, and it was a flurry of colors. Hailey smiled at Xander’s enthusiasm, and he explained that he liked to look for them with his sister and tended to get excited about them. That made plenty of sense. With the subject of rainbows still on her mind, Hailey mulled out loud, “I wonder if there really is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Everyone I ask says there isn’t, but I’ve always believed it.” Hailey had actually tried to find the end of the rainbow, but the rainbow had faded before she could find it. It may have seemed silly, but Hailey was a firm believer in the impossible. She liked to think there was something more in the world than the mundane things that happened daily.

That’s when Xander let out the most horrible cough Hailey had ever heard in her life. It sounded like there was a broken motor in his voice. She ran to his side as he coughed and began to speak rapidly, “Are you okay? God, that sounded like you were dying. Do you want me to go get help? There’s a doctor a few blocks away.” She was rambling, and she knew it, but she was really worried about him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Running in the Rain((Xander))   Running in the Rain((Xander)) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Running in the Rain((Xander))
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Hunger Games RPG :: The Districts :: District 4-
Jump to: