The Hunger Games RPG

The 15th Hunger Games have just ended leaving Faeryn Nacht of District One as the Victor. The citizens of Panem are trying to survive another year of uncertainty and fear, but what will the next reaping bring?

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

A Place Beyond

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Marceline Winters
District 10
Marceline Winters

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 1:17 pm

Marceline willed herself deeper into the trees that had been her haven for so many years. Some days, she needed to breathe, get away from the trees that had long since been marked with worn trails made by animals and herself. As she went deeper and deeper, she began to relax. She came to a stream where she often fished and sat against the birch tree near it’s banks, closing her eyes and smiled. While Evie’s death had taken away much of her happiness, there were times when the woods were still home. Even if they would never be again.
Solitude-just how she liked it. Why burden people with my presence when I’m happy alone? Marceline thought to herself, picking up the little dandelion poking it’s head through the fresh March dirt and blowing the few puffy seeds on it away.
My escape, Marceline thought peacefully, watching the dandelion puffs float away, up into the sky. This is where I belong.
She leaned her head back and closed her eyes again. Yes, this was where she belonged. Alone, in her own world.
Back to top Go down
Sienna Emerson
District 10
Sienna Emerson

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 2:35 pm

Tree branches whirred past her as Sienna ran through the forest. Where she was running? She wasn't sure. The only thing she knew was why she was running. The events of this morning were still fresh in her mind...

Sienna had awoken to the sound of loud rapping on the front door. She crawled out of bed, groggily getting up to answer it. As she entered the main room, she noticed her dad, passed out on the couch with a bottle of liquor clenched in his right hand. He wore a nasty green tee-shirt with stains all over it. His belly hung out over his pants. Wincing at the pitiful sight of her drunken father, she opened the door to find Edward looking down at her. Sienna smiled at her brother, and he picked her up, twirled her around in a circle, then set her down. He always did this when they saw each other. It was just their thing. Edward entered the house, saying, "Come on, kiddo. You're spending the day with me." Sienna's father suddenly lurched on the couch, getting to a standing position, but wavering slightly. Edward let out a snort of disgust. "No, Sienna's stayin' with me today... I wanted ter spend quality time with 'er." Her father said, all the words coming out in a slur. Sienna began to panic. Edward and her father would fight, things would be broken, and Edward's hatred for their father would only increase.

"No, Seth," Edward snarled. He never called his father "Pa" anymore, "Sienna's coming with me." Seth seemed to gather a little bit of drunken courage, for he said, "No, son. She's stayin' with me." Sienna could hardly make out what he said. She desperately wanted to leave, to go off with Edward and leave her father to destroy whatever he wanted. She didn't want to stay with him and be his outlet for his blind anger. "She's not staying with you, drunkard!" Edward yelled, taking Sienna's hand and leading her out the door. "She's my daughter, and she stays when I tell 'er to!" Her father screamed back, seizing Sienna's hand harshly and tugging her back towards him.

Edward's face twisted into something nasty. His eyes widened angrily, his heat and frustration glinting in them. "Don't you dare touch her!" He howled, punching his father in the gut. Sienna ripped her hand away and cowered into a corner of the room, watching in horror as Edward punched him again... and again.... and again... Then her father retaliated, slapping Edward hard across the face. When she couldn't take anymore, she fled out the door, the sounds of her yelling brother and screaming father fading into nothing as she raced into the woods.

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she remembered all this. She so badly wanted her brother and father to get along...Even though her father abused her every so often, she loved him and her brother. She continued to run until she stumbled into a river. She hadn't even noticed it right in front of her. Tears blurring her vision, she swam to the other bank of the river and flopped onto the shore, her shoulders shaking because she was sobbing so hard. Sienna was completely oblivious to the girl propped up against a tree only a few feet away from her.
Back to top Go down
Marceline Winters
District 10
Marceline Winters

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 3:10 pm

For a few moments, Marceline was deaf to the crying girl just yards away from her. When she noticed the girl, she was startled so badly, she nearly screamed. As she looked over to the girl with tears streaming down her face, a million bad memories flooded back.
Her mother, kneeling down in front of a little girl with braids in her hair, clutching her in a final good-bye.
Her first reaping, where she stood afraid of nothing, taunting Death.
Evie’s name being called-she could remember that very clearly, the popping of chewing gum, the name-”Evelyn Winters!”.
Being taken to the orphanage, running away.
Watching Evie die. Losing herself.
And every time, this had been her hideout. Her cloister. The safe haven, away from death, away from the stalker boy Justin, away from the District.
Running away was what Marceline was good at.
The girl looked so familiar, with wavy blonde hair and gentle hazel eyes, a light color, but dark. Marceline thought of herself, with empty blue eyes that scared away even animals.
Except for the stupid stalker boy, Justin, she thought furiously, tearing another dandelion up from the ground and tearing it apart. Oh, if only he would appear, for he would know how to comfort the crying girl.
Marceline knew that it was inevitable for the girl to notice her, and she wasn’t quite sure she remembered how to talk to people. For some reason, she wanted to approach her, to see if she would understand, like no one ever had.
But for now, she would pretend that the girl was invisible, that there was no crying echoing through the woods-through her woods. She would stay silent, and wait for the girl to approach.
Marceline closed her eyes, and tucked back her dark hair. Yes, the girl would notice her, but by no means would Marceline approach. For, if she did, there was nothing she could possibly say. Instead, she sung out the first few notes of The Hanging Tree, and listen to the mockingjays begin their call and response of her voice.
Back to top Go down
Sienna Emerson
District 10
Sienna Emerson

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 6:14 pm

Sienna continued to cry, face down on the ground. She knew that she was lying in mud, and that her pants and shirts were becoming soiled, but she didn't care. She continued to sob, her crying echoing through the trees. Here, she was alone, and could cry in solitude, without anyone around to see or hear the wreak she was. Or so she thought. Through her moans and sobs, she heard a few notes of a song sung out loud, the voice belonging to a female. It was the song, "The Hanging Tree". Confused, she looked up, and sitting near a tree, not too far from her, was a girl. As she was watching the girl, a Mockingjay repeated the tune, which another Mockingjay picked up and soon it was carried throughout the entire forest. Sienna knew all too well that "The Hanging Tree" was a dangerous song. The Capitol didn't like it, for some reason. Her brother had sang it once in public and was beaten bloody.

Something about this girl was familiar. Maybe it was her voice, though she doubted it. Sienna knew she had seen this girl somewhere. Perhaps it was the way that her long, shiny black curls framed her pale face. Or maybe it was those eyes... looking at them made her shudder. They were large, light blue eyes that stared down into her very soul. Yet Sienna couldn't stop looking at them.

Pulling herself off the ground, she looked down at her clothes. Her pants were caked with mud and filth, and her shirt the same. She had a cap sleeve undershirt underneath her filthy shirt, so she tugged it off, feeling slightly less disgusting, and seated herself near the bank on a patch of grass. She began to rinse all the mud off her shirt, sloshing it around in the rolling river. While she was washing, she was thinking. Thinking of the argument that had so recently happened, thinking of her mother... images of her mother, holding her hand and dancing around with her in a field, joking with her father, tickling Edward... these images were suddenly replaced. Replaced with the last time she saw her mother, alive and well. She was saddling up the horse, her blonde hair that resembled Sienna's entirely pulled up into a tight ponytail. She mounted the horse, and was gone, only to return trampled to death by her own horse because it was spooked. Tears began to spill yet again, and the memories vanished. If she wanted to calm down and not cry, she would have to stop thinking about her mother.

After all the mud clinging to it fell off, she stuffed it in her little drawstring bag she had brought. Then she looked up at the girl, still sitting by the tree, looking as though she didn't want to approach Sienna. "What?" Sienna snapped hotly, "Are you too good for me?" Sienna pushed herself off the ground. It was never good to be around Sienna when she was experiencing negative moods of any sort, for she lashed out on the nearest person. "Why didn't you even say something, let me know you were there?" She balled up her fists, squeezing her fingers together so tightly that her knuckles turned white. "You can't just lurk over me!" Her voice was coming out in a high scream, so loud that the birds resting in the trees quickly took flight, creating a loud rustling noise everywhere.
Back to top Go down
Marceline Winters
District 10
Marceline Winters

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Marceline looked up at the girl, now screaming at her. Yes, she was definately familiar. Something about being too good for her...
Marceline actually laughed out loud, but the sound was haunting and deadly. "Me? I'm not good enough for anybody. Not that's alive, anyways." She looked back at the girl and put her finger on it. One if the Emerson kids-she didn't remember the first name. But she had seen the story in the newspaper, of her mother being trampled by a horse.
As far as Marceline could tell, the girl was still seething. She stood up and looked her in the eye and said. "You know me."
For now, she knew why the girl looked familiar. The story about the Emersons had been alongside her parents' obitchuaries. And Marceline had spent many nights thinking about how it must feel to hope your parent will come back as opposed to knowing they never will.
She spoke again, very softly. "You know me. My sister is dead. Her name was Evelyn Winters."
And again Marceline lifted her head to the sky and sang, not just the notes, but the lines to The Hanging Tree.
Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where they strung up a man they say murdered three."

And slowly, very slowly, the mockingjays picked up the tune.
Back to top Go down
Sienna Emerson
District 10
Sienna Emerson

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 9:55 pm

The girl had laughed at her. Had actually laughed. That tears it. Sienna thought, getting ready to give that girl a punch to the nose, a little something to remember her by. The girl seemed oblivious to her rage as she said, "Me? I'm not good enough for anybody. Not that's alive, anyway." Sienna reeled back her arm, ready to send it sailing into her pale little face, when the girl looked deep into her eyes, with those cold blue eyes, as endless as the sea, and said, "You know me." Her voice was chilling, as if someone had dumped a bag of ice down the back of Sienna's shirt.

Sienna drew back and looked at her skeptically. She was so strange. Normally, people would either cower at the sight of her anger, flee even. Or they would fight back, yelling and hollering just as loud as Sienna herself. Well, almost. But this girl... This girl didn't seem to acknowledge her anger. This girl stared right into her eyes, unflinching, even though Sienna was prepared to beat her up. It was puzzling, and Sienna didn't know how to handle this girl. Her not knowing made her even more frustrated at the girl. Just as she was building up the strength to punch her, she said again, but much more softly this time, "You know me. My sister is dead. Her name was Evelyn Winters." The surname Winters was definitely familiar. She remembered the day her mother had died, how everyone in town was talking about, not only her mother's death, but the Winters couple.

It was a gloomy day. Sienna's mother had just been declared dead, really, truly dead. After a few days of being tended to by the hospital, hope still in the hearts of family and friends, the cover was pulled over her body and the tiny flicker of hope was diminished. The word didn't even seem real as a young Sienna and her not-much-older brother left the big farmhouse to go and buy some hot chocolate. "It'll make you feel better, kiddo." Her brother, Edward, had promised as they left the house, their father's heart-wrenching sobbing still ringing in their ears. But Sienna knew the real reason. Edward hadn't wanted Sienna anywhere near their emotionally wrecked father, didn't want her to see the pain so easily read across his bright face. A face that no longer existed, for after his wife's death and gallons of alcohol consumed over the years, his body was changed, as well as his face. His face was sunken, his eyes were always red and puffy, and he grew a nasty, scraggly beard.

Anyway, the two siblings walked into the warm cafe. The colors on the walls were bright and happy, so contrary to their mood and a glum grey clouds hanging over the District outside. They ordered two hot chocolates. The cook, feeling extremely sorrowful for the two but not knowing how to tell them, slipped in extra chocolate and refused to accept their payment when Edward fished the coins out of his pocket. They both sat down at a small, two person table in the corner of the room, attempting to seclude themselves from everyone else. Their attempts were futile, though, because a pair of chatty women took the table right in front of theirs.

"Did you hear about poor Mrs. Emerson?" The lady in a vibrant pink sweater asked, trying to make sure no one overheard them. But Sienna did, as did Edward. Edward cleared his throat, hoping maybe they would recognize him. Sienna glanced down at her hot chocolate, swirling the silver spoon around in the cup, tears dripping into her drink. "Oh yes. Left behind a wreck of a husband and two young children. She was a good lady, too. When my sister and her family were going through a tough time, she brought by a basket of food. Sweet soul, she was." The fact that her mother would be remembered as a good person put a smile on Sienna's face, but the mention of her tore open her already bleeding heart. Edward reached a hand across the table, clasping his sister's hand in his own, and smiled at her, his own eyes brimmed with tears.

"And that's not all." the older lady said, leaning over the table in excitement. It disgusted Sienna. No one should be excited on a horrid day like this. "The Winters couple died, too. Someone said it was a working accident, but I heard from Bethany that that is just a cover story the Capitol fabricated..." she leaned back into her chair, seemingly self-important. "Yes, yes. I heard about their death too. They had two little girls, sadly. Oh, why must the god die young, Viola?" The lady in pink asked the older woman, Viola, who shrugged. Sienna was now shaking, unable to hold back the crying any longer. She hadn't even taken a sip of her hot chocolate. "Let's go." Edward said, taking her by the hand and leading her out the door. "Where?" she asked, looking up at him with her large, hazel eyes. His jaw tightened. "I don't know. Anywhere that we can be alone."

They ran into the woods, side-by-side, hand in hand. They ran deeper and deeper, until all sound of the town had disappeared, and they ran still. When Sienna began to become short of breath and unable to keep up any longer, they finally stopped, settling down by a large oak tree. Sienna crawled into her big brother's arms, not as strong as they were once he got older, and buried her face in his chest, soak his shirt with tears. He tried to remain strong for Sienna by not shaking, but as he stroked her light blonde hair, silent tears rolled down his tanned cheeks, his lip quivering. And there they stayed until night fell, not speaking a word to each other, yet they had never understood each other more clearly before.

Sienna was so wrapped in these memories that she wasn't brought back to the present until the girl began to sing the first verse of "The Hanging Tree". Her voice was hauntingly beautiful, and as the final words hung in the air, Sienna felt herself crying once again. Determined not to seem weak, she wiped them away with the collar of her shirt, pushed back the tears that threatened to spill, and said, "No, I don't know you. I know your name, I heard about your sister, and I can relate to your parental issues. But I don't know you." She kicked the ground with the toe of her sneaker. "It's rather funny how we can know so much about the life of a person, but never truly know them." Sienna said this to herself, as a side comment, but she knew that the girl had heard it.

Back to top Go down
Marceline Winters
District 10
Marceline Winters

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 2:16 pm

Marceline heard the girl say something to herself. "It's rather funny how we can know so much about the life of a person, but never truly no them."
Marceline looked up at the girl, who stood just a bit taller than her. She could tell that the girl was somewhat confused by her, and knew her story. Marceline Winters, the little runaway, no parents, no sister, no friends, just a stalker boy.
"Yes, it is strange," she said very quietly, not sure if the girl had heard her. "You don't know me, you're right. But you wonder. Just as everyone does."

An anger bubbled up inside Marceline, thinking of all the people who had cheered for her sister's death. She turned her heel and paced, her steps long. "They all stare, if I ever dare go into town. 'Oh, Marci, where have you gone? What have they done to you?'. That's a question I don't know. You know what they've done to me? They've taken away the one thing I loved. They took Evie away. Where have I gone? Away. I ran away from myself-dangerous, cold, and ruthless. They could take everything but the pain they gave me. All for their stupid game!" she shouted the last part, scaring several birds, before collapsing to the ground at the base of the tree.

"They took Evie away. They just grabbed her, let her die, and treated her like she was disposable. Where have I gone? No where, and everywhere. I'm not here, I'm not there. I have to stay here, not because they'll kill me if I leave, which they will, but because of Evie. She's buried here-mangled though she is. I'm bound to a slab of stone. And I still run. Try to escape myself, and Evie, and the stupid stalker boy Justin, and my parents, but I can't. No matter where I run and hide, I'm never alone."
Marceline breathed deeply, and said in a quiet, choked voice, "What are you running from? What do you run from, when you cannot hide?" She looked up at the girl, but anything that was familiar about her was fuzzy. "My name, you may not know. But that is all I am. A name. You know who I am. Because I am no one."
Yes, Marceline thought. I may be someone, but I don't know who.

For a few moments, the world was silent. Then, the choked melody made it's way out of Marceline's throat. An unfamiliar song, a poem, something that Evie wrote probably. It was far too melodic for Marceline to have written it.
"Lie down here, little girl.
And close your eyes.
Let the flowers strangle you,
Rest now, frozen in time.
"

Even the mockingjays remained silent for a moment. Then, one at a time, in as loud a whistle they could muster, they repeated the melody. And, before Marceline could stop it, hot tears flowed down her face, washing away blood and dirt. She looked at the girl, and suddenly remembered where she was from.
Marceline stood up, and looked the girl in the eyes. “My name is Marceline. And you definitely know me."
Back to top Go down
Sienna Emerson
District 10
Sienna Emerson

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 8:02 pm

"Yes, it is strange," The girl was speaking so quietly, Sienna had to strain her ears to listen, "You don't know me, you're right. But you wonder. Just as everyone does." Now, that may not necessarily be true. Sienna prided herself in not really caring who people were, as well as not caring how people felt about her. If they didn't like her, then that was their problem. They would just have to deal with it. But there was something about this girl... she was so... indifferent. Everyone either liked Sienna, or they didn't like her, and they all had different ways of showing it, but at least they showed it. This girl was just... so... strange! She couldn't get over it. She stared into those icy eyes and tried to crack the code, attempted to get past the barriers and see where she stood, but she simply could not.

"They all stare, if I ever dare go into town. 'Oh, Marci, where have you gone? What have they done to you?'. That's a question I don't know. You know what they've done to me? They've taken away the one thing I loved. They took Evie away. Where have I gone? Away. I ran away from myself-dangerous, cold, and ruthless. They could take everything but the pain they gave me. All for their stupid game!" She rose her voice to a screech then slumped against the tree and fell to its base, seemingly defeated. By what? Herself. Her own conscience tore her apart, piece by piece, until there was nothing left. Just a hollow shell, drifting on this Earth without a purpose. What a pity.

"They took Evie away. They just grabbed her, let her die, and treated her like she was disposable. Where have I gone? No where, and everywhere. I'm not here, I'm not there. I have to stay here, not because they'll kill me if I leave, which they will, but because of Evie. She's buried here-mangled though she is. I'm bound to a slab of stone. And I still run. Try to escape myself, and Evie, and the stupid stalker boy Justin, and my parents, but I can't. No matter where I run and hide, I'm never alone." Woah. Sienna had to take a step back as she began to shamelessly bawl. Why is she opening up to me? I hardly even know her. . . Sienna thought, looking at her limp body with shaking shoulders apprehensively. She didn't say anything, for many reasons. For starters, she had no idea what this girl was going through, what kind of pain she was suffering. Sure, she had lost a loved one. A loved one. This Winters girl had lost both her parents. Though Sienna's father was a wreck, nothing like he used to be, constantly moaning over his dead wife, he was still there, and Sienna still loved him. Both her parents were gone. And her sister, Evie. It wasn't like her sister's death was an accident, something that no one could be blamed for, something no one could help. Her death was part of a cruel game. The Capitol could've so easily stopped it from happening, but they refused. Instead, they stood by and watched as so many young, innocent children were brought up to slaughter. See, Sienna's pain and loss were so different that she didn't know what to say. She was never much of a comforter anyway... that was Edward's job.

"What are you running from? What do you run from, when you cannot hide?" The Winters girl spoke so hurriedly, not even looking up at her as she spoke. This question made Sienna stop and think. What did she run from? She just let her feet carry her where they wanted to. She wasn't very fast, but there was always purpose behind her running, like there was today. She knew the answer, knew it her whole life. She ran from the things she couldn't escape. Like her brother and father fighting.... her mother's death.... And so many other things. When she knew there was nothing more she could do, she ran. Ran as fast as her dainty feet and slender limbs could carry her. She knew she would have to face these things later, but it felt good knowing she was at least trying to do something... Instead of explaining all this, she folded her arms across her chest and declared, "It is for me to know and you to keep your nose out of, Winters." Her voice was harsh, edged with ice.

Her rude words and cold tone didn't seem to even phase the girl--which continued to infuriate Sienna--for she said, "My name, you may not know. But that is all I am. A name. You know who I am. Because I am no one." Sienna replayed the words she had just spoken over and over again in her head. It made sense... but yet again, it didn't. As she puzzled over it, the girl began singing again:

"Lie down here, little girl.
And close your eyes.
Let the flowers strangle you,
Rest now, frozen in time."

What a beautiful voice... She thought enviously. Her own voice was like a crow screeching, vainly attempting to mimic the beautiful whistles of the Mockingjays. Just as she thought the word 'Mockingjay', all the Mockingjays in the forest began to sing her melody, letting it echo eerily. They stood in silence, letting the last sound hang there for a minute. Finally, the Winters girl broke the silence. Their eyes locked, and she said, “My name is Marceline. And you definitely know me." Okay, crazy, you just said I may know you, now you say I know you for sure. What's going on? She thought to herself, misunderstanding what the girl had been trying to explain before. Another thing that didn't make sense... she stopped crying so suddenly. What was this? Sienna had so many questions, but didn't ask them. If she wasn't willing to share her story, she wouldn't allow herself to pry Marceline's story out of her. "Well, since we're getting formalities out of the way, I'm Sienna. Sienna Emerson. Perhaps you know my father, one of the wealthiest men in the District because of his successful farm." Funny thing is, he blows a good fraction of his money on booze.
Back to top Go down
Marceline Winters
District 10
Marceline Winters

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 1:35 pm

"It is for me to know and you to keep your nose out of, Winters." the girl said with malice dripping from her voice. Marceline registered it, but this girl was stirring so many unpleasant things....
Evie's death. The nightmares that not even the strongest of sleep medicines could keep away. The millions of tears. Her only friend, the stalker boy.
And Evie, lying still inside a coffin, under the dirt four yards away. The one thing tying her to life, to these trees. The one thing she couldn't leave behind because, if she died, what if Evie wasn't there waiting. The only thing that thethered her to herself.

She could sense that the girl was getting furious with her. It unnerved her, the way her harsh words didn't leave so much a a scratch upon her cold, black soul. Well, that was exactly it. Her soul, an empty stone, like her eyes. So much potential, refusing to shine through...
She didn't even register what she said next. Only puzzled over the unfamiliar words that were surely Evie's. Possibly they were engraved on her tomb stone. Marceline was so far gone, that she hardly heard the thing the girl said next.

"Well, since we're getting formalities out of the way, I'm Sienna. Sienna Emerson. Perhaps you know my father, one of the wealthiest men in the District because of his successful farm." Sienna's tone lacked the coldness any of her other comments possessed.
"I knew I recognized the name Emerson from somewhere other than your mother," Marceline said. Then, a familiar, annoying voice rang through the trees.
"Emerson? As in, the rich Emersons?"
Marceline cringed.

Marceline knew that Justin wasn't being rude, just asking an innocent question. But it sure sounded rude.
At nearly 6 foot, Justin towered over Marceline. He had dark brown hair and olive green eyes. A few times, when Marceline was in town, she had been sickened by the number of girls who had swooned over him. It was completely and utterly disgusting.
But, she had to admit, Justin was a bit of a looker.
"So, you're Sienna, I guess. well, you have to be, since your family comprises of boys." Justin looked Sienna up and down.
"Justin, shut. Up. Now." Marceline growled through her clenched teeth. Justin backed away a little.
"Yeesh, chill, Marce." Justin rolled his eyes.
Marceline smiled. Sure, Justin was 3 inches taller than her and probably 40 pounds heavier, but Marceline was quite scary when she was angry, or sad, or both. Ask any tree that her knife could find after Evie's death.

"Shoo, now, Justin. Shoo!" Marceline looked him in the eye-or, as much so as she could from the ground. She looked over her shoulder at Sienna and rolled her eyes, like, Can you believe this guy?
Justin winked at her and walked away, but she knew he would be eavesdropping in the trees. Instead of reprimanding him, she turned back to Sienna.
"Sorry 'bout that. That's stalker boy, my one and only 'friend,'" Marceline put air quotes around the word "friend". "So, ask away."

She flopped back down at the bottom of the tree and pulled her knife from it's sheath, a small deerhide contraption crudely made after Evie's death, when she realized that she wouldn't be safe anywhere without a weapon. Maybe it was just paranoia, but Marceline knew one day she would need it.
"I don't need to know your story. But you have every right to be curious about me. You've heard the Capitol version of it, but the," Marceline counted on her fingers mockingly,"Three people I've met since Evie's death have bugged me about my parents and Evie-and sometimes, for, like, 5 minutes, me. But I'm not a very riveting person. And, since you haven't bombarded me with questions about my history yet, you can ask absolutely anything." The words spewing out of Marceline's mouth surprised even her. She hadn't ever told anyone about herself-not even Justin. She'd given them the basics-"My parents died when I was little, my sister died in the Hunger Games, and I'm a rotten person that you should not in your right mind have anything to do with."-and left it at that. But for some reason-maybe it was because Sienna could probably relate to at least some of the things about her, maybe it was because she was hungrier for company than she cared admit-Sienna was easy to talk to. And she wanted to tell her. She had never told anyone. But she knew eventually it would spill over. And Marceline decided that she would tell the girl standing right in front of her.
Back to top Go down
Sienna Emerson
District 10
Sienna Emerson

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 6:26 pm

"I knew I recognized the name Emerson from somewhere other than your mother," The girl said, without any emotion. Sienna cringed at the mention of her mom. Every time her mother was brought up, no matter who by, her heart was torn open. She sighed, leaning against the tree. What startled her was a boy's voice came through the rustling leaves of a tree, saying, "Emerson? As in, the rich Emersons?"

Instinct caused Sienna to draw the bow, which she forgot she had even slung across her back, and fright kept it poised. A single flex of her fingers, and whoever had just said that would fall over, dead. She had deadly accuracy. Watching as a tall boy dropped from one of the branches of a tree, she kept her fingers tight, her eyes locked on him the entire time. He had shaggy, dark brown hair, with dazzling emerald green eyes. He was rather handsome, but Sienna didn't let it weaken her. She held the bow, pointed right at him, as steady as ever. But he was distracted, chatting it up with Marceline.

"So, you're Sienna, I guess. well, you have to be, since your family comprises of boys." The boy said, and as he said so he looked her up and down, just like Edward would when he was inspecting livestock, deciding whether or not it was worth the prize it was set as. She felt violated. She had to admit, she often caught a guy's eye, but she had never stared right at one as he looked at her this way... it fueled her fire. Bow still drawn, she snarled, "Look any longer, and this arrow is going into your throat." She would never really kill someone, but her tone was convincing.

"Justin, shut. Up. Now." Marceline said, her teeth gritted. The boy named Justin, she assumed, turned to Marceline again, and Sienna was glad to have avoided his gaze. "Yeesh, chill, Marce." He said with an exaggerated eye roll. Now that his name was mentioned, Sienna knew who he was. She had seen him walking around town once or twice as if he was all that, drawing the attention of many girls minding their own business. He must've had a pretty big head, because girls would often stop him and shamelessly flirt with him, twisting their hair around a finger, batting their eyelashes, and giggling that annoying, high-pitched giggle those kind of ditzy girls developed. The sight of their incessant flirting made her throw up in her mouth a little.

"Shoo, now, Justin. Shoo!" She said, as if she were chasing away a little creature, like a pesky flock of birds. Sienna laughed quietly to herself, then looked up at Marceline, who was rolling her eyes as if to say, Can you believe this guy? Sienna shook her head, a sour frown plastered on her lips. The nerve he had, to eavesdrop on their conversation! Sienna assumed this must be the stalker Marceline had mentioned earlier in their conversation. Suddenly, she was even more glad that she hadn't shared her story with this Winters girl. Justin would've heard it, and she would have had to beat him up for eavesdropping. Since he hadn't heard anything important to her, venomous looks and a cold tongue were punishment enough, in her eyes.

Justin winked over his shoulder at Marceline, then took off into the trees. Sienna was relieved to have him out of their hair; he was really starting to get creepy. "Sorry 'bout that. That's stalker boy, my one and only 'friend,'" she raised her hands and put air quotes around the word, 'friend', and Sienna smiled. She actually smiled! She usually wasn't that friendly towards strangers, especially if they were girls. No wonder she didn't have very many friends... Suddenly, she realized she and Marceline had something in common. Instead of thinking it, not saying it, she voice her thoughts, "I don't have many friends either. Many people give up after trying to crack my hard outsides. I'm a rotten egg." She grinned mischievously, relaxing her fingers that were tightened around the arrow. Placing the bow back across her back and stuffing the arrow back in the drawstring bag, she began to feel more relaxed. Strange, she never felt like this around anyone, except for Edward. She felt like she could open up to this girl... but she wouldn't. It just wasn't her. She watched as Marceline toyed with her knife, sliding it out of its sheath. The sunlight glinted off the surface of the silver blade, and she saw the girl's eyes reflected in its dirty surface. So cold... she thought, looking away.

"I don't need to know your story. But you have every right to be curious about me. You've heard the Capitol version of it, but the," Marceline counted on her fingers,"Three people I've met since Evie's death have bugged me about my parents and Evie-and sometimes, for, like, 5 minutes, me. But I'm not a very riveting person. And, since you haven't bombarded me with questions about my history yet, you can ask absolutely anything." Wonderful, more blabber from Winters. she thought, though she secretly wanted to know more about her story, find more things they had in common. She leaned forward slightly, hoping it wasn't noticeable, as Marceline continued, "My parents died when I was little, my sister died in the Hunger Games, and I'm a rotten person that you should not in your right mind have anything to do with." Sienna laughed, "Hey, like I said before. I'm a rotten egg." She pondered a new thought she had before saying it, "We're like to peas in a pod... a nasty, stinking pod." She cracked an evil smile, leaning against the tree trunk. "I'm just glad that creep is gone." Sienna whispered loudly, motioning with an exaggerated thumb point to the forest they had last seen him disappear into.

Back to top Go down
Marceline Winters
District 10
Marceline Winters

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:32 pm

"We're like peas in a pod...a nasty, stinking pod."
This made Marceline laugh. She realized she had a lot more in common with Sienna than she thought. The thought that there was someone other than Justin made her feel happier than she had since Evie died.
"I'm just glad that creep is gone," Sienna whisper-shouted with an exagerated gesture to the trees where Justin was still lurking. Marceline returned her evil smile and yelled, "Hey, Justin, the cute girl from the bakery in there?"
Marceline heard a thump and Justin came storming out of the trees. "How in the world did you know that?"
"Apparently it's not only girls who keep diaries," Marceline smirked at him, an evil, playful glint in her eyes that rarely appeared, even before Evie died. She had met this girl less than an hour ago and alredy she had smiled more than she had in two years. Marceline was beginning to remember how nice it was to have someone other than a stalker to confide in.
Justin looked mortified at this comment. He stuttered out, "I...you...it's not a diary!"
Marceline laughed. "Sure, mister tough guy. I didn't know that you liked yoga, either. Learn something new everyday." Marceline threw a playful punch at Justin. Somewhere, deep in the recesses of her mind, it was saying, "Who are you and what have you done with Marceline Winters?!?!?!
Marceline turned back to Sienna and said, "So, what do you do on your farm? When we lived with my parents' friend, Evie and I rode a lot of horses. Do you ride?"
Marceline hated to admit it, but she wabted to know more about Sienna's past. And she was pretty sure Sienna wondered about her's. But neither was comfortable enough to ask things that cut that deep. But horses were innocent enough. Everyday life-not too prying, but enough so that you could gain something about that person.
Marceline smiled, thinking of all the countless hours Evie and herself had rode. It was like flying, if you weren't afraid to spread your wings.
Back to top Go down
Sienna Emerson
District 10
Sienna Emerson

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 7:50 pm

Sienna listened to Marceline laughed. It was a strange, rasping laugh. A laugh that sounded like it hadn't been used in a long time. Sienna's laugh would never sound like that. She knew it, because she enjoyed laughter. Not always good-natured chuckles, though. In fact, they were seldom that. Her laughing more often came out cynical and cruel, in instances where she was making fun of someone or laughing at her own cruel or sarcastic joke. She smiled. She was starting to like this Winters girl. For some reason, she liked calling her by her last name instead of her first name, Marceline.

"Hey, Justin, the cute girl from the bakery in there?" Marceline yelled into the trees after flashing Sienna a devilish grin. I thought he left... she thought, throughly confused. She was startled, only slightly, though, when Justin came storming out of the forest, a bright red flush spreading across his entire face. "How in the world did you know that?" Justin asked, stomping strait towards Marceline and completely ignoring Sienna. She seated herself on the grass, throughly enjoying his embarrassment, though her instincts told her to string an arrow and send it straight through his jugular. "Apparently it's not only girls who keep diaries," Marceline looked extremely smug and evil. Sienna knew that look to well, for it was one that was constantly plastered on her face. She smirked along with Marceline as Justin angrily stuttered, "I...you...it's not a diary!" His eyes were wide with fear, his mouth hanging open.

"Sure, mister tough guy. I didn't know that you liked yoga, either. Learn something new everyday." She laughed cooly, punching Justin--not very hard-- in the arm. Sienna awkwardly watched, and when she realized how weird it was just to watch the two of them she began twiddling with the grass beneath her. Each blade she picked she inspected closely. They were not only vibrant green, but very shiny and smooth, almost like plastic.

"So, what do you do on your farm? When we lived with my parents' friend, Evie and I rode a lot of horses. Do you ride?" Sienna nodded. Marceline seemed genuinely curious, so she allowed herself to answer. "I love riding. I have a black Gypsy Vanner Horse, actually. Named him Phantom. Beautiful name, no? He's my best friend, well, except Edward. I love Edward." She smiled, thinking of her beautiful horse. He was an excellent horse. Well-behaved, obedient, fit, healthy, young, and beautiful... the perfect package. He was her favorite animal on the farm. Though she loved each and every one of the cows, dogs, cats, pigs, goats, chickens, and other horses, Phantom was definitely her favorite. They shared a special bond... Sienna couldn't explain herself, but she could feel it. When she was riding him, the smooth movement of his strong muscles seemed to connect with her body, their minds and hearts combining into one. It was as if she could think of what she wanted him to do, and then he would do it, reading her mind. "What about you, Winters?" She asked, pulling back to the present. "Do you like to ride?"
Back to top Go down
Marceline Winters
District 10
Marceline Winters

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:22 pm

"I love riding. I have a black Gypsy Vanner Horse, actually. Named him Phantom. Beautiful name, no? He's my best friend, well, except Edward. I love Edward." Sienna said. "What about you, Winters? Do you like to ride?"
"Me? Naw," Marceline replied. "I did it more for Evie's benefit. I was always scared of the horses and, well, let's just say the horses weren't my number one fan."
Marceline smiled, thinking of all those times that Evie had begged her to go ride, and how every time she resolved not to go next time she asked, but always did.
She thought of that first day they went riding, when Evie had just turned nine, old enough to be trusted to go out riding.

Evie had begged and pleaded with Marceline for hours to go out with her. "Oh, please, Marci, just for a little bit!" Evie had pleaded. She was the only one allowed to call Marceline Marci, save for their parents, but they were dead. Justin usually called her Marci because it bugged her, but oftentimes all this got him was a black eye.
Unwillingly, Marceline had told Evie that she would go out. The two went to the stables, where Evie immediately looked over all the horses. None of them seemed to be right for little Evie-most were too tall, or unable to be ridden. Then, her eyes fell on the black and white paint mare, just barely older than a pony. She was just the right size for Evie, and looked friendly. Evie squealed-a sound that Marceline never had ever made. Evie was the girlier one, but also the outspoken one.
"Marci, look, her eyes are blue! They look like yours! Oh, and they're green, and gray, and purple, too! I'm going to name her Kaleidoscope because her eyes are so pretty like one, oh, come look, Marci!"
Marceline walked up and looked the horse in the eye. It snorted and seemed to glare at her. Marceline didn't see where Evie was getting all the colors from-the thing's eyes were practically clear-but she smiled down at her younger sister, who was looking up at her with shining emerald green eyes.
Marceline had pulled Evie's straight dark hair up with a ribbon and helped her onto the horse. It very gently walked out of the stable and galloped, not too fast, but not too slow. As Evie got older and learned to control it, they would go much faster.
When Evie came in for dinner, her cheeks flushed pink and her eyes glimmering, she looked at Marceline and said, "Marci, me and that horse are going to be bestest friends forever, ok?" And she gave Marceline a big, toothless, nine year old smile.

Who would've thought forever could be so short? Marceline wondered, wiping the tears springing to her eyes off with the back of her hand. Then she seemed to snap out of a trance and realized that Justin and Sienna were still there.
"Evie's horse was named Kaleidoscope. I think it was killed after her death. I should've tried to save it, but..." Marceline trailed off, finishing her sentence silently. But it was too painful.
"My sister, she used to say that I was like the cats on the farm. I spent a heck of a lot of time with cats. She used to say that we got on so well because we had something in common. We either liked you or we didn't, and if we didn't, well then, it sucked to be you!" Marceline laughed, only this time it was empty. She didn't like thinking of her sister. It made her remember that it was her fault she was gone, her fault for not speaking up. She looked down at her feet and felt Justin put his arm around her and say something to Sienna. She wasn't sure what, but she couldn't find the strength to push him away, so she just let his arm rest around her shoulders. Marceline may have hated his guts, but sometimes, even if you were alone, you needed someone to lean on.
Back to top Go down
Sienna Emerson
District 10
Sienna Emerson

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 10:15 pm

"Me? Naw," Marceline replied. "I did it more for Evie's benefit. I was always scared of the horses and, well, let's just say the horses weren't my number one fan." She gave her a smile, getting lost in thought. Sienna couldn't help but notice that Marceline seemed to do this quite often--say something, be reminded of something related to what she had said, then go off in a completely different world. A world of her own thoughts. She wondered if she herself did that, too. Often times she found herself completely lose her train of thought and go off into la-la-land, a place where no one judged you (not that she ever cared about that), a place where she was Sienna. She sighed, making herself more comfortable on the ground by repositioning her arm she was leaning on.

Sienna found it weird that Justin was still lingering around. Just go away. Wishing he could read her mind, a thought crossed her mind. What if people could read each other's minds? Wouldn't that be great? I mean, we wouldn't have to say what we feel, search for the words that made sense. People would just know... they would understand. Then again, could you imagine what a violation of privacy that would be? There wouldn't be any secret-keeping. If the Capitol really wanted to control us, she thought smugly, They should invent something to read our minds with. I mean, they can control us physically, but mentally, we will always be free. They don't know what we are thinking, and even if they did, they can't control it. We can think all the nasty, rebellious things we want and they won't know. She chuckled contentedly to herself, looking over at Marceline, who began talking again.

"Evie's horse was named Kaleidoscope. I think it was killed after her death. I should've tried to save it, but..." Sienna could see the pain so plainly shown in her eyes, the way her eyebrows furrowed together, the way her mouth twitched, the way her eyes narrowed in an attempt to stop the tears. It was all there, except for why. Why did she feel this way? Why was she being so open? Sienna looked at her, feeling confused and awkward. She had no idea how to comfort the girl. She jumped slightly when she saw Justin reach for her and comfort her... for a few moments, she had forgotten he was there... watching like a hawk watches its prey.

Her mood changed suddenly, from doom and gloom to hilarity. Light seemed to return to her eyes... well, it wasn't really light... her eyes were so cold... more like life. "My sister, she used to say that I was like the cats on the farm. I spent a heck of a lot of time with cats. She used to say that we got on so well because we had something in common. We either liked you or we didn't, and if we didn't, well then, it sucked to be you!" Sienna laughed. Marceline was so much like herself. Cold, distanced, snappy, and most of all, feeling the pain of lost loved ones. Of course, most people in Panem could relate to loss of love to death. In a way, the Games made Panem stronger, built bonds between the people in it. Even though their children were killing each other off in an attempt to save themselves and return to their families, the parents, friends, siblings, and relatives of the innocent souls grew closer together. Their bonds were created from similarities, all of them experiencing loss, and the deepest despair, at some point in their lives.

Sienna looked up, and Marceline was leaning against Justin's shoulder, who looked throughly pleased. She scoffed. Didn't she just say she disliked this boy? Sienna was a firm believer in the policy of meaning what you say, no matter who's around to hear it. If you are going to say something behind someone's back, or in front of their face, you can't just act like their best friend when you next see them. It just isn't fair to the person, and it makes you look like a two-faced moron. Sienna scrunched up her nose, disgusted by this display, and thought about what to say next. She wasn't really sure she was in to this girl sharing all this deep and personal stuff, but whatever. Looking up at the sky to see when she should be heading home, Sienna noticed that the sky was beginning to darken, the sun setting behind the mountains. They painted the sky beautiful colors. Red, orange, yellow, purple, and pink, all faintly smeared across the sky. She smiled at it and said, "Anyway... erm..." Once again, she had no clue what she should say, so she just let the silence hang there, until it became unbearable. She would ask about family... but Marceline had none. "Well, Winters, can you please telling me what this guy is doing here?" She motioned towards Justin with a snort of disgust.
Back to top Go down
Marceline Winters
District 10
Marceline Winters

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 1:35 pm

"Anyways...erm..." Marceline could tell Sienna was uncomfortable, and unsure of how to react to her leaning on Justin's shoulder. "Well, Winters, can you please tell me what this guy is doing here?" Sienna gestured towards Justin with a noise of disgust.
"Oh, stalker boy here? Well, he got lost one day, little boy lost in the woods scenario, and found me. I couldn't get rid of him, so I put up with him. He's kind of my shoulder to cry on, and when he's not being all creepy and stalkerish like he is now-" Marceline had noticed that Justin had put his arm around her and was looking wayyy too happy about it, so she shoved him away from her. "He can actually be a somewhat decent, not completely self-centered guy. It's kind of hard to believe, but, you know, it just is."
Marceline looked up at the setting sun. She had been talking to this girl for hours, even though she hadn't ever talked to anyone. And once this girl left, something inside Marceline told her that she wouldn't see her again. Well, obviously they would see each other again-they were so similar. They were lost, just in different things. Marceline found herself thinking if she could stop being such a Debbie Downer that her and Sienna could be good friends.
"Well, erm, I should be going. And you should, too. I live out here, but the fence gets turned on definitely around 9ish. I'd say it's about eight." Marceline glanced at the sky again. Years of living out here had taught her to tell time on the sun and the stars.
Marceline felt Justin pat her on the back before leaving. A couple of minutes later, she heard the sound of him leaving here to get back on the beaten path, leaving Marceline and Sienna alone.
"Come back anytime." Marceline looked at Sienna. "I'm sorry I'm so...emotionally weird. I haven't talked to anyone in ages. Good-bye." And without looking back at Sienna, Marceline turned into the trees and ran....and ran....and ran.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marceline ran five miles, not sure where she was going, but knowing it was familiar. The little cabin she had built was in the opposite direction-was it possible that she hadn't wanted Sienna to actually know where she resided?
Finally, half an hour later, when the sky was darkened and you could now just make out the stars, Marceline collapsed. She knew where she was. The little grave, the mound of cold dirt, covered with wildflowers and green grass instead of unkempt weeds and dying grass.
She looked at the gravestone, and the pieces of stone surrounding it. The Capitol had provided a stone, and those shards of rock were that gravestone, shattered into pieces, a metaphor for what she wanted to do the Gamemakers, the people who enjoyed watching children die, the children brain-washed enough to want to die.
Over and over, she read the words, repeating them out loud to herself, each time the words getting more blurry.
"Evie Laurel Winters. District 10. Tribute. Dead. March 16th to June 23."
She hadn't put Evie's real name on there. No one had ever called her that. Even the Gamemakers began to call her Evie. And the dead part...well, it was necessary. It made her feel better.
With a jolt, Marceline realized Evie's 14th birthday was in less than a week. Fourteen...she hadn't even made it past twelve.
Evie was in a place beyond, beyond Marceline's reach, beyond this world. And Marceline collapsed on top of the grave, crying, screaming for her sister, the sister that would always be just beyond her reach, so close, but could never be touched.
What brought her back was the Peacekeeper standing behind her, who brushed back her hair with the butt of his gun. Marceline rolled over and looked at him, an ugly man-well, he wasn't terrible looking, but the way he smiled was evil. Other than the gun, his hands were empty-Marceline couldn't help but think, Sienna and Justin escaped.
"Well, don't you look like somethin' the cat dragged in," the man's breath smelled of beer and onions. "C'mon, ya little run away, up with ya!"
The Peacekeepers yanked Marceline to her feet and, silently, with tears streaming down her face, Marceline held her head high and walked on.
Back to top Go down
Sienna Emerson
District 10
Sienna Emerson

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 10:00 pm

Sienna stood there with Justin, awkwardly looking up at him, and then back down at the ground as Marceline left them. Just left them, standing there. Together. They were practically strangers... Sienna had hardly ever noticed Justin at school. She grunted loudly, kicking a small pebble as Marceline vanished from sight. What is she doing? Sienna thought, watching the dust that had billowed up from the ground slowly clear. Feeling adventurous, she repositioned her bow and small backpack to a more comfortable position. "Coming, Justin?" She asked, not really caring if he came or not. But she felt the need to extend the invitation, despite the fact that she did not want him to follow. Without even seeing what his reaction was, she took off down the same path.

Sienna raced down the path, trying to follow the faint footsteps Marceline had made in the earth. Suddenly, she heard crying. It was a heartbreaking cry, one that wrenched one's very soul, and she knew it was her. Following the sounds of the desperate sobbing, she soon came into view of a thin girl slumped against a gravestone, hugging it as if it were a person. Squinting, Sienna attempted to make out the name engraved on the headstone, but couldn't. She assumed it was her little sister's... Oh what was her name? Esmerelda? Emma? Ellie? None of them sounded quite right, but she was pretty sure it had started with an 'E'. Just as Sienna was about to approach Marceline, rustling from the other side of the clearing caught her attention. Her head snapped to look at it.

When the Peacekeepers emerged from the bushes, Sienna was caught so off-guard she nearly fell backwards. Remaining as quiet as possible, she watched as the two tall, surly, strong men stalked up to Marceline, sneers spread across their hideous faces. Part of her wanted to scream, Run, Winters! They're behind you! But she knew that wasn't a good idea. If either of them wanted to make it away from there in one piece, she would have to think out a plan to take them by surprise and rescue Marceline.

One man flipped her hair with the butt of his long, slender gun, and it was then that Marceline noticed them. She looked into their faces without fear, something Sienna admired greatly. Way to be, Winters. She thought, smiling to herself. "Well, don't you look like somethin' the cat dragged in," The taller man snarled right in her face. Sienna wanted so badly to jump out right then, to punch him in the face, and to rescue her... dare she say it? Friend. "C'mon, ya little run away, up with ya!" Marceline got up without hesitation and walked away between the two men with pride displayed by her posture.

Alright, if I am to do something, now would be a good time. Sienna thought, panicking a little bit. She looked over both men. They were probably each about twice her weight, but she wasn't all that short, so they weren't that tall compared to her. Even though one of them had a gun, the other was unarmed. Probably didn't expect the 'runaway' to have a partner-in-crime. She thought, stringing an arrow and aiming it right at the armed man's hand. Her hands were shaking slightly. Calm down. She told herself, breathing in deeply. This seemed to steady her nerves, and with a final exhale, she let her fingers relax, sending the arrow flying through the air.

It sunk right into the man's hand. Surprised, he dropped the gun. It clanked on the ground. Somehow the trigger was pulled by the impact, and it shot a bullet. Thankfully, it didn't hit any of them. The man began to swear, releasing his grip on Marceline. The other man, confused, released his grip and raced to help his partner. "Where the devil did the arrow come from!?" The injured Peackeeper shouted, squeezing his hand in an attempt to dull the pain. Sienna ran into view, racing towards the trio and grabbing Marceline by the hand. "Come on, Winters!" She hollered, tugging her roughly towards the trees.

Sienna continued to tug Marceline behind her, dodging roots, trees, and other foliage as quickly as she could, but she had never been the fastest runner. Thankfully, the men hadn't seen her and they escaped with ease. Once they had ran for at least thirty minutes, and the loud sounds of the Peacekeeper swearing were drowned out in the woods, Sienna skumped against a tree trunk, finally letting go of Marceline. She was panting, her chest heaving. Her heart felt like it might burst, if it hadn't already yet. She didn't have enough air to say anything, so she just stood their, wheezing.
Back to top Go down
Marceline Winters
District 10
Marceline Winters

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 7:02 am

The arrow came out of no where.
The moment the man was on the ground, Marceline shook off the other man, whose grip had loosened considerably. A bullet came out, brushing Marceline’s leg, but not actually shooting her.
Suddenly, Sienna emerged from the trees. Thank you, Emerson, Marceline thought.
Sienna’s hand closed around her wrist, and she started to pull her towards the trees. “Come on, Winters!” she bellowed.
Marceline did not object. As they ran, Marceline unsheathed her knife, ready to stab on sight now. She couldn’t go back to Evie’s grave-not ever, now. They knew where it was. They would have it guarded.
The thought was saddening, but now was not the time to cry. The two ran, dodging tree branches, roots, and various animals. Sienna didn’t let go until the sound of the men had disappeared.

Panting, Sienna fell against a tree. She coughed a little bit. Marceline, who was built for this sort of thing, walked the perimeter of the clearing. She placed her knife in it’s sheath and picked her way through the trees for a moment, before reappearing, her own bow and arrows in hand. If the Peacekeepers decided to attack, what with their guns and all, shooting at them with an arrow was much more reliable than throwing a knife.
The arrow stayed loaded as Marceline walked around in a small circle. Her fingers were tightly pinched, so one move and whoever entered in its path would be shot down, dead. However, there was no one here. Marceline kept the bow loaded and relaxed it a little bit. She didn’t trust the fact that no one had come after them.

Part of Marceline wanted to go slap Sienna upside the head for rescuing her, because now they were going to punish her and Marceline would’ve escaped in the long run. Well, you don’t know that, Marceline thought, but she pushed that thought away.
The other part of her wanted to go hug her, which was strange, because Marceline was not a hugger, and if Sienna was a hugger, than Marceline was a unicorn. On second thought, being a unicorn would be pretty awesome…
Instead of doing either of those things, Marceline turned back towards Sienna, and walked towards her until she was looking her in the eye. There was about three feet in between them. Marceline hoped her eyes weren’t too cold, although it was getting darker and harder to see. Momentarily, Marceline wondered whether when Evie had said that she was like a cat, she had meant her eyes, unfeeling even before her death.
“Thanks, Emerson,” Marceline smiled at her, the best smile she could possibly muster. And unbelievably, it felt natural. She hadn’t naturally smiled in years, other than to laugh slightly insanely at herself. Suddenly, there was a rustling sound, too loud for an animal, but too soft for most human beings. That could rule out the Peacekeepers and Justin. Seeing as Sienna was still kind of worn down, Marceline spun on her heel, the arrow poised to shoot and kill whoever came through that tree. The adrenaline coursing through her veins, she knew, would keep it there, even if the person was not a threat.
Back to top Go down
Sienna Emerson
District 10
Sienna Emerson

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 4:01 pm

Marceline paced around the clearing they were resting in, and Sienna watched her walk in circles. Once again, she wondered why she was doing this. Was she worried that the Peacekeepers would track them, or was she just trying to get rid of the nerves from what had just happened? Judging by the fact that she was carrying a loaded bow around with her, it was probably the first reason. Sienna saw her as more of a knife-bearing person, not a archer, but life was full of surprises. As she looked into Marceline's cold eyes, she saw something buried in their depths... it was anger! Sienna immediately assumed the worse, that it was towards her and not the Peacekeepers, or any other likely candidate. I just saved your butt, Winters! It's because of ME that you're still alive! She wanted to scream it in her face, but it was never a good idea to accuse an armed person. Instead, she sighed, absentmindedly twirling a thick lock of golden blonde hair around her pointer finger.

"Thanks, Emerson," Marceline said as she approached Sienna. She could sense the slight frustration in her voice, like somehow she had created a ripple effect, or had caused some new stress in her life. "I would say 'No problem', but it sort of was a problem." Though this could be taken humorously, Sienna in no way intended it to be. "I just thank my lucky stars that they didn't see the front side of me. Maybe they saw my back-side, but due to the fact that they starve everyone in this forsaken place, my figure wouldn't be much of a tell-tale." Sienna looked at Marceline, who seemed worried now. Something was on her mind...

"So, where are you going to stay now?" She asked after a long pause. "I mean, you know you can't go back to that shack you were living in before. There will be Peackeepers everywhere. Guarding every nook and cranny." Maybe you should offer to hide her in your barn... She thought for a split second. But just as soon as it came to mind, she waved it away. Nah. You've already done enough for this complete stranger. No need to risk yourself any further. That thought got her to thinking... why had she rescued Marceline in the first place? Why hadn't she just let the Peacekeepers take her away, being thankful that she herself wasn't dumb enough to get caught? Maybe it was the way they had connected... all those things in common made her feel as though someone finally understood her, like she wasn't the only one going through hard times right now. It could also be the way she fearlessly looked into the Peacekeeper's eyes. Yes, that was what had pushed her over the edge, beyond her own selfishness to save a...a... an acquaintance.

A sudden noise from the bushes startled Sienna, and she could tell it did the same to Marceline. Her bow was drawn, so Sienna followed suit, stringing an arrow and pointing it at the rustling bushes. What would emerge from the foliage? A Peacekeeper? A fellow wanderer? A forest critter? That creep, Justin? She watched with wide eyes, wishing that whatever it was would get out of the bushes already... the suspense was killer.
Back to top Go down
Marceline Winters
District 10
Marceline Winters

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 8:15 pm

Marceline could feel Sienna draw her bow behind her. It was a second sense, feeling weapons. It had, so far, been her salvation.
The bushes continued to rustle, and out popped a little girl. Blood and tears streaked her face, and she didn't look too good. Marceline was cold now, but every child in some way reminded her of Evie, lying cold and murdered. She dropped her bow and arrow, knowing that the knife was still in the sheath, and ran towards the girl.
The little girl dropped to the ground, still crying, bleeding. Wherever they had gotten her, they had gotten her good. Marceline put the girl’s head in her arms and felt blood on her hands. It made her want to run and hide, like she wanted when Evie killed, but like when Evie was killed, she could not look away.

“It’s gonna be okay. They can’t touch you now,” Marceline whispered to the girl. She couldn’t comfort people, but somehow if a little kid came into her hands, she knew exactly what to say. Years of Evie being her only human interaction, maybe.
“M-momma, daddy, K-k-kyle, they’re all dead! They’re going to kill me, they’re going to kill me,” the girl stuttered the words out, desperation and fear and hopelessness in her voice. Marceline’s cold heart was tugged. As each word finished, more blood spilled onto Marceline’s arms.
Marceline stroked the girl’s blonde hair, blood and dirt caked in it. “It’s okay. You’ll see them all again, soon,”. Marceline knew that saving the girl was pointless. She didn’t even know where the blood was coming from, and she was no healer. It occurred to her to ask Sienna, but this was her moment. If Evie had died this way, she wouldn’t have even for a second asked for help, even if it could possibly save her. That was just the way she was.
“What’s your name?” she asked the girl. Marceline was convinced that, when the child died, they would not come find her body. Marceline would bury her, like she did Evie. It was possible that, by the time this was all over, the spot where Evie and this little girl’s grave would stand would be an entire graveyard.
“Ev-ev-evangeline. Evangeline J-j-june.“ The bleeding was heavy and lots of it covered Marceline‘s hands and lower arms, and the rising and falling of her chest increased, as her breathing was becoming more labored. “Evangeline Saffron June.”
“My name’s Marceline. Marceline Kylie Winters,” Marceline whispered to the girl, tears now pouring down her face, as if it was Evie dying now. She smiled a watery smile at the girl as her breathing slowed, and her eyes looked different ways. “It’s okay, Evangeline. Go to sleep. When you awake, you’ll be somewhere better.”

The girl was already slipping away. She grabbed for Marceline’s hand, and mumbled dazedly, “Marceline is a pretty name,”. The bleeding slowed, and the little girl, helpless, coughed. For a moment, a pair of hazy gray eyes met icy blue ones, and Marceline felt her eyes become warmer, more feeling. The blood stopped pouring, although it continued to cascade onto Marceline’s arms, and inexplicably, a tear from Marceline’s eye fell on her, even though she didn’t know the girl. She remembered Evie, she supposed. “You will be remember, Evi-Evangeline. I promise.”, Marceline placed three fingers to her lips and then the child’s forehead. One solitary tear slipped down her face and landed on Evangeline’s face. She smiled at the child, and she didn’t cry now. It was all okay. Evangeline was somewhere better.
Marceline, who was now closer to the little shack that Sienna had thought was near Evie’s grave, ran to the cabin. She reappeared moments later, and held a shovel out to Sienna. “Help me?” she asked her. Then Marceline looked at the body of the young girl, frozen in time.
Her eyes were still open.

Marceline dropped her own shovel and dropped to her hands and knees, twitching and screaming. She had a secret, and this was it. Paranoia. Fear. Thanatophobia. The fear of death and dying.
Marceline put her head in her hands, still shaking and screaming. She screamed out for Evie, her mom, and her dad. Evangeline, who she had watched die. She had gotten it when she was five, a little while after her parents death, the first time the Hunger Games really affected her. She didn’t watch her prey die, she shot them and turned around. Once it was dead, she was fine. It was an animal. But that was why Marceline hadn’t wanted a big affair for Evie. She would’ve had a panic attack and been locked away in a straight jacket. And she would put money on her scaring Sienna right now. Maybe this was why she hadn’t had any human interactions for a while.
Justin appeared out of nowhere. How does he do that, Marceline wondered somewhere back in the recesses of her mind. But that really wasn’t her main concern at the moment.
The blood. The darkness. Evangeline’s open eyes, staring at her as if it was her fault she was dead, which in a way, it was. If she hadn’t been so stubborn and asked for help. That’s what had set her over the edge. She could’ve made it away from home, away from everything, before she freaked out. But here she was, having a panic attack. Marceline felt the vomit rise to her throat, and Justin greet Sienna and notice her. “Hey, Emerso-what in the world is wrong with Marceline?”
Justin dropped down on his hands and knees next to her. Marceline, while she hated to admit it, was glad for this. Sure, she hated his guts, but he was a shoulder to lean on and, quite frankly, the only person who cared about her during the past three years or so. The vomit spilled out of her mouth, splattering the ground. Marceline sat back on her haunches, and looked at Justin. A strangled cry escaped her throat, and she looked over at Sienna.
“Sorry about that. Just kind of set me over the edge, I guess. Nothing major.” Marceline shrugged it off. “I don’t like blood very much.”
Yeah, right, Marceline thought to herself. She had just had a full blown panic attack, for crying out loud! No one could ever know this secret. She would be arrested, locked away, put far away from society. She would fight. She’d end up an Avox, or dead. This was what had kept her from volunteering for the Games, from going just to defy the Capitol. The fact that, when it came time to kill, she was capable of killing someone, but she couldn’t. Marceline continued to shake, and Justin began to rub her back. She didn’t even register it, or anything Justin and Sienna said. Her eyes looked around everywhere, unsure of where to go. Had Evie been alive, she would’ve known. But she had no one.
Marceline fell forward into the dirt, crying for all she was worth. At this moment, she was weak. She could not find it in her soul to be strong. She had no one. She was alone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Place Beyond Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place Beyond   A Place Beyond I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Place Beyond
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Hunger Games RPG :: The Districts :: District 10-
Jump to: