The Hunger Games RPG

The 15th Hunger Games have just ended leaving Faeryn Nacht of District One as the Victor. The citizens of Panem are trying to survive another year of uncertainty and fear, but what will the next reaping bring?

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Showing who I am ((Open))

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Reshia Petty
Tribute
District 4
Score 9
Reshia Petty

Showing who I am ((Open)) Empty
PostSubject: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Reshia sat on the floor and started working on her net- a beautiful thing constructed of hundreds of knots and twists. She had been working on it for a couple of weeks and it was nearly ready to use. She had been lucky enough to find a long coil of gold twine on the beach, so she had intertwined it with her usual rope to make a spectacular net. It’s beautiful, she thought, and with a coy smile added on, even by my standards. Okay, so what if she was a bit cocky? She was known around the district for making good nets, so why not admit it to herself? That was the way she lived her life. A final twist here, a knot there, she concentrated as the final touches went into place. With a flourish, she lifted up the net and held it out in front of her. After a moment of silence, her peace was shattered.
“Re-e-eshia! Where are you?” yelled her little brother, Tom. “I’m coming to find you, ready or not!” A few seconds later, he clattered into the room like a tornado.
“Where have you- oh!” he broke off as he saw the net. “Where did you get that?” he asked in a hushed voice.
Reshia smiled. She loved it when people admired her work, especially her cheeky little brother, Tom.
“Made it myself. Jealous of my skills?” she questioned in a teasing voice, smirking.
“Jealous? Of you? Not at all. But that is quite something. Are you sure you didn’t buy it somewhere?” he retorted.
“Sure. Coming to try it out with me?” she asked.
“Okay. But no taking all the credit on whatever we catch!” he replied instantly.
“’Kay. Go tell Mum and Dad where we’re going” Reshia watched as he ran out of the room and raced upstairs. She did love her brother, no matter how much of a pain he could be sometimes. He was just so cute with his huge brown eyes and his pleading face. Most of the people in the town adored him- he could come in handy when selling their catch.
Tom came downstairs in his waterproof jacket just as she pulled on her boots.
“Ready to go?” she asked and pulled him in for a hug.
“Anytime” he smiled back up at her. He’ll do well when he’s older. He’s enthusiastic enough to be a decent fisher Reshia thought as they walked down to the dock. They were just walking past the mayor’s house when some teenage boys stepped in front of them.
“Nice net,” one of them commented “Where did you get it?”
“I made it myself. Is there a problem? Because you see, my brother and I are going out on the boat” she replied, her anxiety levels rising as the boys’ eyes narrowed.
“Yeah. There is a problem,” another one of them snapped “We want it”. She snorted in reply.
“Fat chance. I’ve been working on it for weeks. Now, I have work to attend to. So, clear off, boys.”
They seemed to be turning around. Huh. Trying to get in my way. I don’t think so. Reshia thought when one of them turned back towards her, pulled his trident out and aimed at Tom.
“You don’t have an option. You will give it to us or your brother dies” one of them said callously. She reached into her jacket for the sharp stone that she always left in there in case of attack when another of them jumped towards her and pinned her arms behind her back.

“Let- me- go!” she yelled. The boy only pulled her arms harder, leaving her utterly defenceless. All she could do was watch when the other boy pulled his trident further and further back, ready to release it into Tom’s heart. She closed her eyes, waiting for the scream that was sure to come when a deep voice said,

“Any problems here?” She opened her eyes to see one of the friendlier Peacekeepers stood next to the boys. They had released her and put the trident away in the blink of an eye.

“No, Sir.” muttered the boys and hurried away. Reshia stayed silent whilst Tom’s colour returned to his cheeks. The Peacekeeper was still standing there. With a grin, he asked:
“Well aren’t you going to thank me?”

“Thanks.” she replied, giving him a cocky stare.

“Y’welcome. Who knows what sort of trouble boys can get up to.” he sniggered, winking.

“I’ll keep that in mind. I’ll let you know if there’s ever any trouble in my life.” snapped Reshia. She ran over to where Tom was stood and hugged him tightly.

“Are you ok? I’m so, so, so sorry!” she fretted and let a tear run down her face,

“I- I’m fine. Are you ok? Did they hurt your arms?” he asked.

“M’okay. Come on. Let’s get down to the boat before they come back.” she murmured. With a final glance around, they walked down the dock together.
Back to top Go down
Zoe Swaya
District 4
Zoe Swaya

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 9:28 am

Zoe had woken up earlier than usual today. She would usually wake up at 6, and spend the whole day fishing. But today was Tara, her younger sister's birthday, and Zoe wanted to get her something special. She usually didn't do this, she had 5 siblings, but Tara was her favorite, and she was turning 12, which could be nerve-wrecking for someone, especially Zoe's sweet, gentle, sister.

So here she was, at four in the morning, collecting all the nets and cages needed to fish. Her parents were going to come later in the day, and Zoe could take a small break. Then, she would go back, and help them pack everything up. Afterwards, she would go to the market, and attempt to sell the fish, and find something pretty for Tara. Game on.

She tiptoed quietly into the room where they stored all the fishing supplies, and began to drag out the nets and lobster cages. She wasn't used to carrying everything alone, so she had to walk slowly to prevent anything from falling. She couldn't risk breaking anything. She continued walking like this, and she could feel everything slipping. Drat. She sped up, to see if she could make it to the dock and onto the boat before it happened.

Sadly, it happened. She had made it onto the dock, when she lost her grip on a cage. It slipped down, and fell with a clang. When Zoe awkwardly bent over to pick it up, everything fell too. Now she was standing on a dock with her fishing supplies scattered all over. But she had been distracted. She thought she had seen a girl and a little boy getting hassled. She hadn't been sure, and now she didn't have time to find out. But she couldn't do this by herself. "Could anyone help me pick these up?"

((not as long as yours, but i kinda like it))
Back to top Go down
Reshia Petty
Tribute
District 4
Score 9
Reshia Petty

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:52 am

Reshia was hurrying along the dock with her little brother, Tom, when she noticed a girl a few years younger than her carrying a load of fishing equipment. So she wasn’t the only one going fishing at this time. The equipment started falling, and after a split second of silence, the whole lot landed on the dock with a huge clang. Reshia bit her lip to stop herself laughing, but was sobered up when she remembered an incident that had happened a few years ago when she was the girl’s age. She had been out fishing for cod when some older boys had shoved into her and knocked all of her equipment on the floor. She had reached to pick it up when they kicked it across the dock and into the water. Reshia scowled as she replayed the scene in her head. She was snapped out of her reverie when the girl asked,

“Could anyone help me pick these up?"
Reshia blinked.

“Sure,” she replied. “It’s Zoe, right? Hey, nothing freaky. I’ve just seen you around school. Chill. So, any reason why you’re trying to wake the dead?” She smirked and bent down to pick up the equipment.
Not bad, she thought. Obviously a hard worker. Maybe she’s got potential as a friend after all.

Showing who I am ((Open)) D4f_co10
Back to top Go down
Zoe Swaya
District 4
Zoe Swaya

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 11:05 am

((don't feel the need to reply quickly, i'm just bored))

Zoe asked her question, feeling like the most stupid person in District 4. She hoped she wouldn't have to pick this all up herself, since it was a lot of heavy, precious, equipment to Zoe. A girl walked up, and Zoe reconized her as the girl who had been harassed earlier. that meant the little boy must be around here somewhere. And that must be her little brother, or something like that. She looked a little young to be a mother, for instance.

"Sure," the girl replied. Zoe thought she looked familier. "It's Zoe, right? Hey, nothing freaky. I've just seen you around school. Chill. So, any reason you're trying to wake the dead?" she finished with a smirk. Zoe sighed. "Yeah, Zoe. And you're Reshia, right? Thought I recognized you. Well, it's one of my sister's birthday today, and I wanted to get out early, so i could get her something...special." Zoe gestured to the ripped nets, and one of the lobster cages had broken. "Obviously, not going to happen. It'll take forever to repair the nets, and fix the cage. By that time, it'll be time to go home. Maybe next year," Zoe said dejecdtly. She felt bad. Tara was her favorite, and she had wanted to give her something to make up for the fact she was eligible for the Hunger Games.

Reshia, in the meantime, had bent over, and started picking things up. Zoe joined her, and soon, between the two of them, the equipment was off the floor. Now for repairing it. This could take several hours, maybe the whole day. Zoe sighed again. Not only was Tara not going to get a present, her family wasn't going to get the money they need. Zoe snapped out of her depressing thoughts. Not going there. "Thanks for your help. I suppose I'd better start repairing them. What were you doing out here?" Maybe that was a snoopy question, but Zoe had answered her. Besides, she didn't see why Reshia couldn't answer.
Back to top Go down
Reshia Petty
Tribute
District 4
Score 9
Reshia Petty

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 11:20 am

Whilst Reshia was helping pick up the equipment, Zoe replied to her.

"Yeah, Zoe. And you're Reshia, right? Thought I recognized you. Well, it's one of my sister's birthday today, and I wanted to get out early, so I could get her something...special. Obviously, not going to happen. It'll take forever to repair the nets, and fix the cage. By that time, it'll be time to go home. Maybe next year. Thanks for your help. I suppose I'd better start repairing them. What were you doing out here?"

Reshia hesitated before responding, seeing how upset the other girl was. She, after all, knew what it was like to want to please a younger sibling. She herself was always eager to please little Tom, and she put the effort in for him. He was one of the only people that she cared about; but then, most of the district liked him. She felt an emotion that rarely showed itself in her world. Was it pity for the other girl? Possibly.

“Well, I was going to try out my new net with Tom on the boat. He’s my brother, by the way. But, if you want to come, we’ve got plenty of spare equipment that you can use. Then you can get something for your sister…” Reshia paused awkwardly. “So, are you coming?”

Back to top Go down
Zoe Swaya
District 4
Zoe Swaya

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 11:34 am

"Well, I was going to try out my new net with Tom on the boat. He's my brother, by the way. But, if you want to come, we've got plenty of spare equipment that you can use. Then you can get something for your sister. So, are you coming?"

Zoe looked at her, eyes widening with every word. She would really do that for Zoe? And this was a girl she barely, scratch that, didn't know. Maybe she was just doing it out of pity, but from what Zoe could tell, Reshia was the type who didn't belive in pity. Maybe something Zoe had said....Either way, she wasn't going to let an oppurtunity like this pass up. Besides, she was curious to see the new net. It must be special, it those boys had wanted it, and Reshia hadn't been willing to give it up.

"Thanks! That would be awesome! And don't worry, I do know how to fish. I could bring my unbroken stuff too, so that there's a possibilty of getting more fish. I have 8 people to feed, and you must have family too. I'll just drop off the broken stuff, and I'll be right back. Thanks again, you're a lifesaver!" Zoe exclaimed. Maybe there was still a chance for Tara's birthday present, however small. And she had been right about Reshia's brother, Tom.

Zoe hurried off quickly, snuck in to where her family was sleeping, and deposited the ripped nets and broken cages. She still had 1 intact cage, and 2 nets. Hopefully, that was enough. She hurried back to where Reshia was still standing, with her little brother. "I'm back," Zoe said, panting slightly. "So, let's see this net that made some boys try and mug you, huh?" Zoe said, trying to sound like it was a joke. Hopefully, it would be taken as such. That would be akward, if not. Zoe waited for an answer.
Back to top Go down
Reshia Petty
Tribute
District 4
Score 9
Reshia Petty

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 12:01 pm

Reshia watched quietly as Zoe started talking about fishing, and families to feed and such. A small smile crept across her face. Apparently she had said the right thing by asking the other girl to come along. With a quick “Be right back!”, Zoe turned and with her equipment, ran back to her house. Reshia’s smile broke into a grin and she took her stuff to the boat. She left Tom guarding it and jogged back to the dock. It was one of the first times that she had done something to actually help someone. Why? Who knew! Maybe it was the fact that the reaping was drawing ever closer, and everyone was feeling a little closer.

Skidding to a halt like a tornado, Zoe returned. “I’m back” were the first words out of her mouth. As if her excitement hadn’t already announced that! Reshia laughed and led her to the boat, the ‘Petty Pride’. She undid the rope and leaped in, taking in the salty scent of the ocean. Zoe asked about the net, and if she could see it. ‘Why not?’ thought Reshia.
She reached inside her coat and pulled it out with a flourish. It was every bit as beautiful as she remembered. The sunlight gleamed off the golden twine, and sent strange, unearthly patterns on the waves. Each knot shone like a diamond and added to its gorgeous effect.

Reshia beamed, and a proud thought passed through her head. It looks like it should have come from District One. A luxury item.
“So,” she questioned happily. “What’s the verdict?”

Back to top Go down
Zoe Swaya
District 4
Zoe Swaya

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Reshia laughed at Zoe's comment. Well, good to know the happiness was being extended both ways. Reshia then showed Zoe the boat. Undoing the rope, Reshia quickly got in, and Zoe followed. It would be a little embarrising to get left on the dock. The ocean was as beautiful as ever, and it was times like this that Zoe was glad she lived in District 4. Other districts probably never got to see water beyond the sink and bathtubs. Zoe took a deep breath in, and closed her eyes. The sea was mostly peaceful, except for the small waves lapping against the boat.

Zoe opened her eyes, just as Reshia took out her net. It.Was.Amazing. There was regular rope, entwined skillfully with gold rope, and the result was beautiful. It was probably twice as sturdy, with twice the amount of rope. Zoe was going to feel bad when the net would get thrown in the water. "So, what's the verdict?" Reshia said happily. It was obvious she was very proud of the net, and she had good reason to. "It's amazing," Zoe said breathlessly. She reached out a hand as if to grab it, but quickly retracted it. Reshia might not like it if she tried to touch it.

"You must have worked forever on it. I don't think I could make something like this," Zoe said, examining it with her eyes now. It was expertly crafted, knotted, and the result was amazing. "It'll be a shame when it gets thrown in the sea," Zoe said, still looking it over. She needed to learn how to do this. But later. First, fishing. Food. Right. Zoe backed up a little, and started preparing her regular nets for fishing. She also started examining her lobster cage. She wasn't sure if they were common or not, but she needed to make sure it was ok. It needed to capture the lobster, or crabs, or whatever was in the ocean right now, not let it escape.

Zoe was suprised she was here. She usually didn't make friends that easy, since she wasn't really like everyone else in District 4. She was also grateful Reshia let her on the boat, to fish. "So, where do you usually fish? I have to stay near the shore, since it's just me, but there really isn't much fish there. I also have my lobster cage, which can catch lobsters, or crabs, or something similar. I also have a catfish pole. It's not much, which is usually the reason I have to look for shellfish and oysters too, but it's enough," Zoe said. She felt like she was spending too much time on formailities. Maybe focus a little on Reshia. Are you teaching your brother how to fish?"
Back to top Go down
Reshia Petty
Tribute
District 4
Score 9
Reshia Petty

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Reshia flushed with pride when Zoe complimented her work. Most of the time, people were too busy hating her to admire her work. She let her eyes rake over her work again and again, taking in every inch of its beauty. She started paying attention when the other girl started talking about how she fished and what she caught. Although she had decent equipment- what remained unbroken of it- it seemed that the stuff she caught was pretty basic. Then, Reshia remembered that only a few people knew about the cove. The cove… it was everything to her. Her refuge, her place of peace, her supply of food. It was home to hundreds of species of fish, and not to mention the sheer number of oysters there. Although she didn’t particularly like oysters, they brought in a lot of money when she sold them.

“Can you keep a secret?” she smirked at Zoe. Without waiting for an answer, she continued.
“There’s a cove just around the corner that has tonnes of fish. And shellfish. There’s so much variety in what you can find there, it’s unreal. Everything from barracuda to sea urchins to oysters to trout. I set some traps out last time I went there, so we should get a good catch. There’ll be more than enough to feed both of our families, and you’ll be able to get something for your sister.”

After her description, Reshia sat back and smiled. They were nearly there now. A few more minutes and they would arrive at her haven. After about three more minutes, she pulled the boat towards the cliffs and into the secluded cove. She tied the boat to a rock and jumped out into the shallower water. After checking the traps, she turned around.

“Wondering what’s in the traps?” she grinned at Zoe. “See for yourself.”

Back to top Go down
Zoe Swaya
District 4
Zoe Swaya

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 1:06 pm

"Can you keep a secret?" Reshia asked. She continued, without waiting for Zoe's answer. "There's a cove just around the corner that has tons of fish. And shellfish. There's so much vareity in what you can find there, it's unreal. Everything from barracuda to seas urchins to oysters to trout. I set some traps out last time I went there, so we should get a good catch. There'll be more than enough to feed both of our families, and you'll be able to get something for your sister." At this, Reshia smiled. Zoe's eyes widened again. This girl never ceased to surprise her. A cove? Lot's of fish? Enough to feed everyone? This seemed too good to be true.

But it was true. A few minutes later, Reshia began to pull the boat towards the cliffs. That must be wehre the cove is. Reshia tied the boat to a rock, and jumped out, where there was more water, but shallow enough to stand in. Reshia began to examine some traps, and eventually turned around. "Wondering what's in the traps? See for yourself," she said with a grin.

Zoe inched closer, ankle-deep in water, and peered in to one of them. There was so much in there, it made Zoe's previous catches look like nothing. Well, they were nothing, but this, this was amazing. Reshia had been right. Just this haul alone could be enough for one whole family to be fed. "And there's more?" Zoe asked, overwhelmed with the idea her family might never go hungry again. With Reshia's permission, she could start fishing here. It was probably not illegal, and there seemed to be plenty of fish, and other things. And not many people knew about this, most likely. That meant that there was more to catch. Zoe was probably thinking selfishly right now, but she was very happy.

Zoe raced along to another trap, and peered in. Just as much as in the other one. Soon, she was running around the cove, extremely excited. The traps were all full, and Zoe could see shellfish and oysters practically lining the walls of the cove. There were probably fish around here, hiding from Zoe, and crabs probably lived here too. "This is like heaven on earth! I bet someone could live here if they wanted! Am I allowed to fish here?" Zoe asked Reshia, jumping up and down. She was still really excited. This was obviously enough to feed everyone, this time. And if Reshia said yes, enough to feed everyone forever. She probably wouldn't tell her parents though. They might not approve, for some reason. They'd stick to the coast, or tell a Peacekeeper, or something. Best not to tell them.

Since Reshia had brought her here, Zoe could only assume she was going to fish. Sure, there were these traps, but more would have to be set up. And Zoe could help with that. She wasn't very good with knots and such, but she was very good with traps. She hurried back to the boat, and took out the cage and nets. No need for the pole, since she had her nets. She walked back carefully with the supplies, determined not to drop them again. When she got back to where Reshia was standing, she carefully placed them at her feet. "I have this idea for a trap. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it will lure more fish into it. Wanna help?"
Back to top Go down
Reshia Petty
Tribute
District 4
Score 9
Reshia Petty

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Reshia watched with amusement and delight as Zoe’s eyes widened with disbelief. Every trap was full with fish and all types of strange creatures. This was even better than her usual catch, and that was no small feat. A shoal of brightly coloured fish zoomed past in the deeper water and gave a dazzling display of blurred colours. She spaced out for a moment, and took in the peaceful, tranquil atmosphere. Zoe said something, and it took Reshia a minute to process what she had said. The other girl was asking her if she could fish here. Asking Reshia! As if it was her cove! I wish, she thought.

“Of course you can fish here! There’s hardly a lack of supplies in here! But… can you not tell anyone about it? I come here to get some peace, so I don’t really want loads of people coming and using it.” Reshia answered. The sunlight reflected off the still water and projected dancing, green, ghostly images onto the rocky walls. Zoe brought the traps to her, and she emptied them into a container in the boat. The other girl stated that she had an idea on how to make a trap for here, a trap that would capture even more fish.

“Sure, what’s the idea? Not that we need any more fish to be honest. But I’m open to all ideas. With the reaping coming up…” Reshia paused before continuing. “We all need to be prepared.”

Back to top Go down
Zoe Swaya
District 4
Zoe Swaya

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:10 pm

“Of course you can fish here! There’s hardly a lack of supplies in here! But… can you not tell anyone about it? I come here to get some peace, so I don’t really want loads of people coming and using it," Reshia said. Zoe nodded. She had already decided that. Her secret was safe with Zoe. “Sure, what’s the idea? Not that we need any more fish to be honest. But I’m open to all ideas. With the reaping coming up...We all need to be prepared." Zoe nodded. Her greatest fear was being reaped. Not for her, but she was the main caretaker of the family. If she died, she didn't know how her family would support themselves. But with this new development, she might not have to apply for tesserae. That was a plus.

"Well, this idea, applies to the flight part of the brain. When someone thinks they're in danger, their brain thinks, fight or flight? Most times, they choose to flee. So, I was thinking, place the net in the water, but have it move. The fish will try and escape. Have the net placed, so that when the fish flee from the net, they swim straight into the cage. If they don't run, they're caught by the net. If they do, they get caught by the cage." Zoe sat back. She had tried this on insects, on a smaller scale, and it worked almost every time. She was ready to apply the same concept to fish.

"I guess, the same idea can be applied to humans, if we're talking about the Hunger Games now," Zoe said, with a face of disgust. She hoped she would never have to trap a human. Fish and bugs were ok, but another human being...impossible. "So, do you want to try it out?" Zoe said brightly, trying to get the Games out of her head. "I've tried this before, but there were never really enough fish. It should work though. Traps are my specialty."
Back to top Go down
Reshia Petty
Tribute
District 4
Score 9
Reshia Petty

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 3:46 pm

Reshia listened attentively as Zoe explained her plans. Once she had finished, Reshia started to process the idea together.

“Hmm. That might work. Especially if the fish were in a shoal. That way, the entire shoal could be captured and trapped for later uses.” The thought of such a feast was mouthwatering. “I’d be glad to help in any way that I could. Except… I don’t know all that much about making traps. I could make the nets for you if you wanted” she offered. Her traps were temperamental and unreliable, but her nets worked 100% every time. It was one thing that she could rely on.

“We could start making them now if you wanted. I have some rope in my bag that we could use, and re-enforce with the vines that hang up there. That way, the fish won’t get too suspicious of the net; they’ll just think that it’s some seaweed. The vines will make the net stronger and fill in any large gaps, trapping any large fish. In fact, I’ll get some of those vines down now.”

After her musings, Reshia climbed up the steep rock walls, handhold at a time. She gained height quickly and reached the vines within a matter of minutes. Once she was there, she pulled a knife out of her jacket and sliced across the ends of the vines. She started to clamber back down, but when she was about halfway down, some rocks jolted out of place and fell into the cove beneath her. Reshia cursed. She glanced behind her to estimate her height, and the depth of the water. It would be a risky dive- a very risky dive- but it was the only option left now. She looked down at Zoe and called out,

“Whatever you do… don’t panic!” And with a final breath, she pushed herself away from the rock edge and dived deep, deep, deep down into the water.

Back to top Go down
Zoe Swaya
District 4
Zoe Swaya

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 3:56 pm

“Hmm. That might work. Especially if the fish were in a shoal. That way, the entire shoal could be captured and trapped for later uses. I’d be glad to help in any way that I could. Except… I don’t know all that much about making traps. I could make the nets for you if you wanted” she offered. Her traps were temperamental and unreliable, but her nets worked 100% every time. It was one thing that she could rely on. “We could start making them now if you wanted. I have some rope in my bag that we could use, and re-enforce with the vines that hang up there. That way, the fish won’t get too suspicious of the net; they’ll just think that it’s some seaweed. The vines will make the net stronger and fill in any large gaps, trapping any large fish. In fact, I’ll get some of those vines down now.”

Zoe smiled and nodded. She was glad Reshia was so responsive to her idea. Zoe could already see the trap in her mind. It would be perfect. Then she saw some rocks fall into the water. Zoe looked up, and saw Reshia. Was she stuck? "Whatever you do...don't panic!" Reshia pushed herslef away, and dived into the water. Zoe resisted screaming. She said don't panic, she thought. She waited for a while. "Are you dead?" she called out, after waiting a bit. Hopefully, she'd get an answer.

There was nothing Zoe could do except wait. So, while she was waiting, she got the lobster cage out of the water. It wasn't primed, so it was empty. But it was going to have to be tweaked, to blend in with the water, and so that the fish couldn't swim between the bars. Soon, this cage won't be useful for crabs anymore. Just fish. But that was ok. Zoe was planning on coming here anyway. If this worked, she'd have guranteed food for the rest of her life, however long it may be. She began pulling on the bars, trying to bring them closer together. It was a flimsy, not well built cage, so it was fairly easy. Then, she grabbed some algae that was growing nearby, and began placing it over the bars, to hide them being there. It was soon finished.

Zoe walked back to where Reshia had dived. "Reshia? Hello? Where are you?" Zoe called out. There were a few possibilities. One, Reshia hit her head. Two, she drowned. Three, she was hiding. Four, she was ok. Zoe was hoping for the last one, although any of the others were possible. "I've got the cage!" Zoe called out again, holding up the green cage.
Back to top Go down
Reshia Petty
Tribute
District 4
Score 9
Reshia Petty

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Reshia could only hope for the best as her body flew through the water. She seemed to go down forever- the cove had been deeper than she had thought. Not so deep though, that she didn’t reach the bottom. She needed to slow down! If she didn’t, she would crack her head open for sure. Reshia opened up her arms to the side and hoped that it would create enough resistance to slow her down before she reached the sand.
It did. Her body grazed the sand and the weeds, barely touching them at all. Her clothes billowed out to the side and let the water flow through them. It was only then that she realised how dark it was down there. She was so far away from the surface of the water! She’d better get moving otherwise she would have no chance of making it.
She kicked away from the sand bank at the bottom of the water, but as she did her foot got caught in a knot of seaweed. Reshia panicked- her time left was limited. Trying to remain calm, she reached down and hacked away at the clump of weeds. She pulled her diaphragm in for more air, but it didn’t help much. Struggling and pulling, she grew more and more anxious. She only had a few minutes leeway left… and then finally she broke free! She kicked away from the sand bank and rocketed towards the surface. Her lungs were bursting for air, but she was nearly there.

Reshia broke above the surface of the water, gasping for air and coughing up water. Her lungs burned at the sudden exposure to the air that they required. After a few moments of recovering, she came to her senses. Her right hand still had the vines wrapped around it; she was holding them in a vice like grip. She turned and looked around to see Zoe holding a green cage.
Well, of all the bizarre sights to see.

Back to top Go down
Zoe Swaya
District 4
Zoe Swaya

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 2:30 am

Zoe sighed with relief. Reshia had taken so long to emerge, Zoe was sure she had drowned, or hit her head, or possibly both. Reshia was gasping for air, and was still holding the vines, which made Zoe wonder what order her priorities were in. Reshia turned in the water to look at Zoe, and seemed to mirror Zoe's surprise.

Zoe dropped her semi-useless cage, and ran over to the shallow part nearest to where Reshia was floating. "There you are! I thought you were dead! Are you ok?" It all came bursting out at once, so that the words were almost unintelligable. But that was Zoe when she was excited, or nervous, or in this case, both. She breathed another sigh of relief, and extended her hand to Reshia, to help her up. As far as Zoe could tell, Reshia was fine, albeit winded, but she had to make sure. Reshia had only fallen because of Zoe's suggestion for the trap.

While still holding her hand out to Reshia, Zoe awkwardly turned, to make sure the cage was alright. It was the only non-broken one, and it would pretty much suck if it broke. Reshia would have fallen for nothing. It was still lying where Zoe had dropped it, and while it was banged up, there was no lasting damage.

((sorry for shortness, I'm tired))
Back to top Go down
Reshia Petty
Tribute
District 4
Score 9
Reshia Petty

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 2:17 pm

((Sorry for taking so long to reply, school has been hectic! ))

Reshia watched as Zoe ran over to her and gave her a hand up, before starting to ask questions in a rushed, excited way.
“Are you ok?” Zoe asked. Reshia smiled at the other girl’s anxiety.

“Sure,” she replied. “Never been better!” Although her knees were scraped from getting away from the seaweed, there would be no lasting damage. And she still had the vines. The two of them walked over to the cage and picked it up. Now it was time to put the plan into action.

“Come on. It’s time to finish this trap once and for all.” Reshia grinned and started weaving the vines together onto the trap. Her fingers twisted through the vines easily, knotting them together. As she worked, she began to think.

I could have died there, she thought. What would have happened if I had? What would Tom, and Mum, and Dad do?
More alarming thoughts began to fill her head. Ah well. What is life without a few risks?

“So…” Reshia began. “What’s your life like? I mean, we’re working together here but I don’t really know anything about you. Enlighten me”
Back to top Go down
Zoe Swaya
District 4
Zoe Swaya

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 5:13 pm

Reshia seemed fine. Zoe could see scrapes on her knees, and Reshia was still wet, but besides that, she looked fine. That was good. Zoe had no idea how she would have explained this to Reshia's family, if she had to. That would have been one awkward conversation.

Reshia still had the vines, and she began knotting them, right onto the cage. Zoe watched carefully, trying to keep track of what she was doing. She was going to have to repair her nets later, and she wanted it done the best way possible. She watched as Reshia fluidly tied the vines together, like she'd done it a million times. Well, she probably has, Zoe thought. Reshia pulled her out of her thoughts.

"So...What's your life like? I mean, we're working together here, but I don't really know anything about you. Enlighten me."

Zoe shrugged. "Not much to know. I have three sisters and two brothers. My brothers are both five, and so is one of my sisters. Then I have another who's eight, and another who's twelve. Then there's me. I'm the oldest, and I'm the only one who works. My mom is sick, and my dad has to take care of her. Sometimes he comes, but it's mostly just me. If I don't bring anything back, then we have nothing to eat or sell. That's mostly why I was so worried about the cages breaking, and the nets ripping. They're all I really have." Zoe thought about that. They weren't really poor, nobody in District 4 really was. But Zoe could definitely have used more money, or someone else to help her fish. Tara didn't have enough patience for fishing. Sophy loved doing this kind of stuff, but she was still really small, eight years old, so she couldn't get a good grip on the poles. Zoe shook her head. No use thinking about what you don't have.

" What about you? I know you have a brother, but that's really it..."
Back to top Go down
Reshia Petty
Tribute
District 4
Score 9
Reshia Petty

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Reshia listened attentively as Zoe explained about her life. Her family seemed to be one of the worst-off in District 4, unlike Reshia. Although she wasn’t related to the Mayor in any way, she was quite well off.

" What about you? I know you have a brother, but that's really it..." Zoe asked. Reshia thought for a moment before replying.

“Yes, Tom is my brother. He is only seven and he means the world to me. My family are quite well off- both of my parents work as well as my fishing, so we are never short of food or money. It’s a shame that you have difficulties… at least this cove should help in the future. As to your mother, I’m sorry. I wish there was some way to help her. I appreciate what it is like to have a full working family. People think I’m cocky, arrogant and self-absorbed, but some of that is a front. I mean, I’m not perfect, nowhere near, but I’m not as bad as most people think I am. Only two more reapings left… but promise me something. If I get chosen to go into the Games, help Tom. Please. Keep him fed and healthy, and keep him on the right path. I’m sorry, but with the reaping approaching, I can’t risk leaving him on his own. Promise you’ll help him.”
Back to top Go down
Zoe Swaya
District 4
Zoe Swaya

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 4:29 pm

“Yes, Tom is my brother. He is only seven and he means the world to me. My family are quite well off- both of my parents work as well as my fishing, so we are never short of food or money. It’s a shame that you have difficulties… at least this cove should help in the future. As to your mother, I’m sorry. I wish there was some way to help her. I appreciate what it is like to have a full working family. People think I’m cocky, arrogant and self-absorbed, but some of that is a front. I mean, I’m not perfect, nowhere near, but I’m not as bad as most people think I am. Only two more reapings left… but promise me something. If I get chosen to go into the Games, help Tom. Please. Keep him fed and healthy, and keep him on the right path. I’m sorry, but with the reaping approaching, I can’t risk leaving him on his own. Promise you’ll help him.”

Zoe looked at Reshia. "I don't think you're cocky, arrogant, or rude," she began, speaking quietly. "You can be really nice, and the way you care for Tom is, well, amazing," Zoe continued, her voice a little louder now. It seemed like, at the moment, Reshia's main concern was her little brother, if she got reaped. But Zoe didn't question that. She felt the same way about her little brothers and sisters. "On the unlikely chance that you do get reaped....I'll take care of Tom. He can become my honarary little brother." Zoe's attempt at humor sounded a little morose to be. "I'll take him fishing with me, and I can teach him some of my traps. I'm already teaching one of my sisters, so he can join in. But Reshia, if you do go into the Games, you'll win. I'm sure of it. Then you'll be really well-off." Zoe tried to smile, but she was afraid it came like more of a grimace. She didn't like thinking of how messed-up the victors must be, what they had to go through. Maybe it was better to die. But Zoe couldn't afford to think like that.

"You'll be fine. But I'll keep an eye on him, I promise." There. Now Zoe had said it. But she hoped she'd never have to live up to that promise. That'd just depress her, having a friend in the Games, again. But like Reshia had said, she was well-off. The odds were, hopefully, in her favor.

"On a more pleasant note, it seems the trap is finished. We just need one more net, to herd the fish in, and we can set it in the water. This cove has so much fish, it'll most definitely work."
Back to top Go down
Roxas Smith
District 4
Roxas Smith

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 4:46 pm

(Haha, hi, am I allowed to join this?)
Back to top Go down
Zoe Swaya
District 4
Zoe Swaya

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 4:54 pm

((well, this is district 4, and you're from 12, so I don't know how you would have gotten here))
Back to top Go down
Taryn Forrest
Admin
District 3
Taryn Forrest

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 6:32 pm

((Oh, actually, Roxas lives in district four at the moment, I'll go change that above his name Razz))

Back to top Go down
https://thehungergames.forumotion.com
Zoe Swaya
District 4
Zoe Swaya

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 6:34 pm

((ah, makes sense, i don't care, but i'm not sure about reshia))
Back to top Go down
Reshia Petty
Tribute
District 4
Score 9
Reshia Petty

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 1:11 am

(( Yep sure Roxas!!))

Reshia listened carefully as Zoe promised to keep Tom safe. “I promise.” Zoe finished. Reshia’s shoulders slumped with relief as those last two words echoed around the cove. Tom would be safe! He was too young to go into the reaping, and if she went into the Games, he would be kept fed and well.
“You can be really nice”, Zoe had said. So it was true! She wasn’t just a shallow, self-centred girl, even if that was how she sometimes appeared on the surface. A light appeared at the end of Reshia’s dark, lonely tunnel inside her head.
Even if I go into the Games now, she thought, everything will be okay. Life will continue, even if I don’t make it back alive.

Reshia was barely listening as Zoe said something about the trap. It took a minute for the words to register in her head, and eventually she made sense of them. The trap was ready. It only needed one more net. And Reshia knew exactly which net to use.

“You don’t have a certain time to get back for, do you? Because, if you don’t, we can use my new net… it would work perfectly.”

She hoped that Zoe didn’t have to get back any time soon. She wasn’t ready to leave the warmth of friendship yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Showing who I am ((Open))   Showing who I am ((Open)) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Showing who I am ((Open))
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next